Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Balljoints

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88k5canuck, Dec 18, 2001.

1. 88k5canuck

88k5canuck Registered Member

Well my balljoints are lose again. About 10 000 miles were put on them. I am running 4" lift with 35" tires, stock 10 bolt axles, dual steering stabalizer & disconnects. I replaced the ball joints last Feburary. Both upper & lower. I have been doing some pretty hard wheeling the last 3 months. Is this typical of 10 bolt axles running 35" tires to need balljoints every year. I checked the tie rod they are good & the drag link is okay.
    Thanks for your help

2. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

did you grease them regularly?
    I dont think it is too uncommon to eat 1/2 ton front end parts with 35s

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Where did you get your balljoints and what brand did you get. I believe NAPA sells MOOG (which are a good brand). Cheap balljoints will wear out quick. Also get the greasable kind and keep up on the maintenance (they will last much longer). 35's and hard wheeling WILL take it's toll, but they "should" last longer than that (unless you are catching major air, but then again the tubes will take alot of abuse that way). You do get what you pay for, so make sure you buy good quality parts (I like MOOG, but there are other brands that people have had great luck with as well, hopefully they will reply too).

See my rig at <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Leadfoot> click here </a>

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    I bet your Upper Ball-Joint Preload is way under spec.
    This can and will cause lossness !
    You do understand Upper-Ball-joint Preload ??