Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"Bandwagon Member Only"!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by backcountry, Sep 30, 2004.

1. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

\"Bandwagon Member Only\"!!

What is Independent Thinking?

The Oxford Unabridged Dictionary offers many definitions of independent, including "not depending on the authority of others" and "not dependent on others for forming an opinion." Making up your own mind, in other words. But what does that really mean? Does it mean forming an opinion without input from others? No, of course not, otherwise we "reinvent the wheel" every time we make a decision. We all need relevant information and data on which to base our opinions. It's the way that we seek information and how we apply it that makes us dependent or independent thinkers. If we uncritically accept whatever values or ideas we've been taught by parents, teachers or church, never questioning these ideas or asking ourselves if these ideas really make sense, then we are dependent thinkers (even if the ideas are true!).

If we reject what our parents, teachers or church have taught us simply because they say something is right, does that make us independent thinkers? No, that's just what psychologists call "anti-conformity" rather than non-conformity. Making up your own mind is an action, not a reaction.

Independent thinking means making sense of the world based on your own observations and experiences rather than jut depending on the word of others. It means trusting your own ability to make judgments, even if they contradict what others say. It means acting in accordance with these judgments, even if you sometimes make mistakes. An independent thinkers knows it's psychologically better to make your own mistakes than someone else's.

Independent thinking is not necessarily rational or critical. Sometimes you make mistakes; sometimes it's difficult to know if your beliefs are your own or simply uncritically borrowed. No one ever said independent thinking is easy.

by Sharon Presley, Ph.D., Executive Director, RIT

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Re: \"Bandwagon Member Only\"!!

Hey look it's Mr. cut and paste /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

OOOOoh, I like to cut and paste and I like Paint too... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif [​IMG]

4. backcountry

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Nice one!

5. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

You know that you are your own worst enemy don't you? Seriously, you try to come across as smart and informed, but in the end it is more like preachy, smug, arrogant (SP??) and just a plain Boca Grande

You know, since you feel the need to educate all of us, you should learn that you will do better by trying to talk to people instead of down and at people.

What a putz!

6. backcountry

[ QUOTE ]
    You know that you are your own worst enemy don't you? Seriously, you try to come across as smart and informed, but in the end it is more like preachy, smug, arrogant (SP??) and just a plain Boca Grande

You know, since you feel the need to educate all of us, you should learn that you will do better by trying to talk to people instead of down and at people.

What a putz!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't make me laugh! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

If you and some of the other "Bandwagon" members were capable of holding an intelligent conversation in the first place, I could understand. If you call bashing, name calling etc. for a persons “own” opinion and beliefs “talking” I have news for you. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

When you’re ready to have an Intellectual conversation without the negative bashing crap let me know! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

DUDE YOUR A JACK ASS unless youve got somting to contribute STFU and go back on vacation /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Is it really that hard to just get along with the other members of the board? Do You really think that Your gonna change anything around here with all of Your little positive post /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. backcountry

[ QUOTE ]
    Is it really that hard to just get along with the other members of the board? Do You really think that Your gonna change anything around here with all of Your little positive post /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not too hard for me to get along, how about you? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Absolutely! I do believe that a positive outlook on life can and will make a huge difference in ones life once they become receptive to a positive outlook! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Ok ,
    #1 Please to explain how I have in anyway done anything for you to assume I am part of this "bandwagon"

I have only added one thought to any of your worthless trolloing around here and that was about California. I have and always will be a proud Texan that has a strong dislike for your kind (and that seems to be the majority of folks in your preciouse little state)

To tell you the truth, there are many intelligent, helpfull, good folks around here that you talk down to and call the bandwagon that I am proud to be riding it with.

2nd of all, SO WHAT. What you can't get to get into that head of yours is YES, most of us around here think along the same lines, HELLO???? You should use that tank on your back next fire you fight because your head is full of smoke as you seemed to miss the fact that this is website that is about something WE ALL HAVE IN COMMON!!!!
    We love wheelin.
    We love cars.
    We love the outdoors.
    It makes sense we that we could have other things that we are on the same page on. I know it is hard for you to get, since we don't buy into your blather, but the same thing could be said about many of the sheep in your precious union, hell, talk about bandwagon.

You are a sad man, I feel sorry for people like you. Hah, you remind me of your hero Kerry, you spout positive, be nice, blah blah, then flip flop but don't understand that you are doing exactly what your so called message is saying not to do. What is so positive about talking to the us around here like you do. As you have said, we are all to stupid and unintelligent to understand. Yup, that sure is positive.

Again, like I said before......what a pathetic putZZZZZ.

11. backcountry

/forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]

You know that you are your own worst enemy don't you? Seriously, you try to come across as smart and informed, but in the end it is more like preachy, smug, arrogant

[/ QUOTE ] Just like John Kerry. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

13. js4x4

js4x4 1/2 ton status

ok, campfire time.....Kumbayaah.....

14. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Nice, seems like a logical statement that was well thought out. Oh, and I guess its ok to copy and paste flip flop political propaganda on this board though....

I was just thinking the other day about members on this board and the "bandwagon" effect going on. Seems most would rather agree with each other and be "popular" than state their own ideas or opinions. That and there must be a lot of youngsters on the board who still lead sheltered lives and don't fully appreciate the issues going on in this country. Not saying I am old and wise, but I have changed my thinking a lot since I was 18 and have learned a lot about life as well.

15. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

hey dblazer we arent all bad dont let one jackass spoil your thought's for all of us

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

For once you guys all agree with me, this guy is a jackass.

[censored] you!!!!!!!!! go away!

17. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I'm having positive thoughts of your head being crushed right now!

18. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

When you’re ready to have an Intellectual conversation without the negative bashing crap let me know

[/ QUOTE ]

You have never brought anything intellectual here to talk about, just liberal BS.../forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

19. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I hope he sticks around. It's fun seeing you guys get all pissy over nothing. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

20. backcountry

[ QUOTE ]
    I hope he sticks around. It's fun seeing you guys get all pissy over nothing. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that the truth! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif