Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bang Bang Bang goes the front end! UPDATED - STUPID MISTAKE!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by W7NB, Mar 5, 2007.

1. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Well, for those that were watching my latest adds I installed a new 4 inch lift kit last week, and swapped in a set of axles - still 10 bolts but with better gear ratios. I also installed lock rights in both ends and replaced all the joints etc.

This evening I ran out to our acreage to pick up some firewood. While I was there I thought I'd run across the creek and check to see if the darn beavers had come back and built another dam. Stop before I go through the swampy spot, lock the hubs and throw it in 4 whell drive, and head in. Well 10 feet through I'm getting banging noises comming from the front end and it's evident the front wheels are not pulling properly, if at all. Banging comes from both sides, one at a time and alternates with no noticable pattern - sometimes twice on right then once on left - then sometimes back and forth. Banging SEEMS to come from hub end of axle but I'm not certain.

So after winching out I turn around and unlock one hub. Drive like a nutcase to get back across mud hole. Axle on that side bangs away merrily all the way across but I avoid winching again. Unlock hubs and come home very :angry1:

So, did I reinstall the hubs wrong and they are not holding or is this a problem with the lock right setup? I installed it the same as the back end which works perfect. When the truck is in 4 wheel drive with the hubs unlocked it has no wobble, vibration, or wierd noises like the front shaft is binding or the u-joints are screwed up.

I'm going to go have dinner and a stiff drink, then was planning to pull the hubs off and see if they are goofed up. Any suggestions before I tear back into the diff?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I didn't see your hubs when I was there but are they the 1/4 turn or the 3/4 turn models? sounds like they are not fully engaging. the 1/4 turns are crap.

3. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

They are warn premium's - 3/4 turn. I had a hard time getting the snap rings back on when I put them in and now wonder If they are not in all the way.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

sounds like it, and did you grease the snot out of them?
    good to hear they are the premiums.

5. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

No, just a light coverage of grease. I didn't slather em up. I'm going to go pull one and see if I see chew marks or anything like that.

6. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

So I checked...

the hubs and they looked geat when I pulled them back apart, so I slapped them back on and checked they were working - and found out there is a TON of slop in the differential. You can turn the front wheels about 1/8 of a turn before the diff catches and then it will pop loose WAY too easy.

I had forgotten until I pulled the paperwork out that the front locker I bought was an EZ-Locker not a Lockright like my rear end. So either the locker is bad or the thrust washers were worn more then I thought.

Any thoughts beford I have to pull the whole damn front end apart again to pull the driveshafts out and drop the locker to see what went wrong? I want to go wheeling this weekend and may resort to throwing back in the open front end.

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I did not have to use snap rings with the Warn Premiums . Must be the length of certain stub shafts . My last 30 spline front , and my current 28 spline front refused to let the cap sit flush with the snap rings on the inside .

The only thing I have been able to do with Warn Premiums is put each hub body in with no snap rings on either groove of the stub , install the retainer ring in the hub groove , and slap the cap back on .

8. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

If you can't get the external snap ring back on the outside part of the stub shaft you can reach behind the backing plate and pry the stub shaft out a little bit where the u joint is. This will usually give you enough room to install the snap ring. Also, throwing your open front back in isn't going to help because you'll have mismatched gear ratios. That will really put the drivetrain in a bind. If you just wait a week or two you can forget about that axle all together and get these 3.73 axles installed! :wink1:

9. pauly383

Tried that in my case , doesn't come out enough . Over 3 years and countless trips , and a broken axle ...... hubs work fine .

10. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

I also had one rig that I couldn't get the snap rings on. Just like you I left them out and never had a problem. But if I can get them on the shaft then I go ahead and install them.

11. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

When I checked the hubs the snap rings were both in place and everything looked great. I'm convinced it's either worn thrust washers or just the cheap locker I put in. I'll pull it apart tonight and find out.

12. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Good luck keep us updated

13. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

EZ-locker. Thats your problem right there. I hate to say it but I had one too and it did the same thing. Sounded like I had somebody beating on my front axle with sledgehammers. I thought it was the hubs too and went through inspecting them to find nothing wrong.

Finally got pissed enough and yanked that POS out of the diff. I found that some of the locker teeth were getting chewed up. We installed it to spec and still had this problem develop. All it would do is slip and grab, with the grab causing the banging noise you hear. It's no wonder I got it for free. My locker had been installed in two other trucks and both proceeded to yank it and pass it on to the next guy. Before I installed it the locker teeth looked perfect. Not so good later.

Take the ez-locker out and use it as a paperwieght. Thats all it's good for now.

14. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Yeah, thats what it seems like to me. Only thing I'm wondering about is if the thrust washers were worn more then I thought and that led to it's demise. Either way, it's junk now, so I think I'll just pull it and put my open diff back in for now and order a lock-right later to replace it. What a pain!

I'll post up picks when I get finished so folks can see what it looks like after being trashed.

15. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think Pauly383 went through the same business and tried to tighten it up with new thrust washers without making a difference. He's the one I remember chiming in when I posted the problem with mine a year ago.

Mine had only 10 minutes worth of run time in the snow before I parked it. I didn't want to ruin the lockouts or the rest of the axle with that thing hammering away. Sucks to have to pull it back out and go open again. At least you get to know your front axle well by taking it apart and putting it back together twice.

16. pauly383

Yup , but the problem child was a Quic Loc/Detroit Ez Locker , not an actual Lockright . The Quic Loc just rounds the teeth off within 9 months if you actually try to wheel on it :doah:

I have had no problems with an actual lockright at all :thumb:

17. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

Tired plus alcohol = broken parts!

So here's the story...

I checked the locker when I got it - teeth looked good, and it really looked like new. When I put the rear axle together I had a lazy rainy Saturday afternoon and took my time getting stuff cleaned up nice and putting it all together. However when it came time to do the front end it was a Friday night and I was in a hurry - I wanted to go wheeling in the snow!:k5:

Well, I had a couple of good size drinks as I was throwing it together, plus it was about 1 am when I put the diff cover on. I THOUGHT I had it all good and proper. So I go out wheeling and get BANG BANG BANG from the front end the first time I get on it, and have to winch out 'cause I have no front drive.:mad:

Well, I was all set to blame the Detroit EZ-Locker for being a POS after it failed the first time out, or to be pissed at the guy I bought it from for being bad to begin with. Last night I tore the thing apart and discoverd the locker was chewed up in several places. So i pull it out to put back in the open diff for now, only to find I FORGOT TO PUT IN ONE OF THE $&*^ THRUST WASHERS! So bottom line is the locker may have lasted a year or two in the front end properly, but I trashed it. :angry1:

Oh, and the thrust washer was sitting on the workbench under the spring bushing box with the micrometer I had used to measure with - right where I left it:doah:

I guess if there is anything good comming out of all of this, it's that I'm getting REALLY good at taking apart and putting together 10 bolt axles:crazy:

18. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

That F'N blows. :mad:

Can you clarify something for me. What rear end do you have and what traction device did you install?:o

Oh by the way, I got my 35's mounted today, I will have pics up Monday.:D

19. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

10 bolt with Lock-Right. Works well with just a little click click on the corners and some chirp if you get on it in a corner.

Can't wait to see pics!!!