Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bang,Bang,Bang, Still cannot figure it out. WTF?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BiggerRigger, Jan 3, 2003.

1. BiggerRigger

BiggerRigger Registered Member

She only does this in the morning! Reverse out of the driveway, Place into first and start to go then Bamb,Bang,boom. Stop pull over look under the rig to make sure there is no honda's under there and nothing hanging from the rig, jump back in and take off and every thing is fine untill the next morning.
    At first I thougt it was the rearend so I pulled the cover and every thing looked good other than some very fine metal shavings, flushed every thing out real good with the parts washer and filled back up, still doing the same thing but I dont think that it is coming from the rear end now.
    Remembering back to earlyer this summer when in some mud hearing a sound similer to this and a buddy saying that it was just the auto hubs making noise. Again a loud bang or pop. Should I be looking into the auto hubs for this noise? I am no expert but something is getting f!@ked up and this is going to make a big mess all over the road at any minute. Thanks for your help.
    Aaron

2. BiggerRigger

Sorry this in a 1989 jimmy every thing stock but the seats!

3. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

My Jimmy made that noise when the CV Joint in the front shaft exploded. But I have full time 4wd NP203 T-Case. Your front shaft is not spinning unless you have it in 4 HI or 4 LO, so your front hubs should not be engaged unless you have it in 4x. Are the tires rubbing anything when you back out of the driveway?

4. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

Sure sounds like my u-joint when it went out a few months ago (rear shaft, forward joint). Alternatively, could it be something loose in the brakes?

Is your front shaft turning at all (probably need someone to pull it out for you and watch the shaft... I don't recommend trying to look while hanging out the door... don't ask). Could be something in the transfer case is messed up.

5. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

actually the front shaft will always spin. there just won't be any power behind it.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Check your transfer case mount.

7. BiggerRigger

well I just got done putting in a set of Warn premeum hubs and I think I found the problem or mabey not. When I took the old auto hubs out and put the new ones in they tell you to push on the axle shaft from behind so you can get the locking ring in place. Well when I took hold of the knuckle from behind the wheel to push it forward I could move the whole shaft up,down,right,left,in and out not only inside of the wheel hub but in the end of the axle housing as well is this normal?

8. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

sounds like maybe the needle bearing went out inside your spindle.you gotta pull everything off down to the nuckle and it sounds like the bearing in your spindle will probably be in pieces when you pull off the spindle.that would be why the axle shaft is so loose.it should have a little play like maybe an 1/8 of an inch wiggle in either direction if that aint bad then your u joint is real loose and you should replace it before it blows up and takes your axleshafts with it.

9. BiggerRigger

The axle shafts are what I am talking about! On both sides you can take the axle that comes out of the axle tube and move it up,down,right,left,in and out atleast 1/2" if not more. Like you have a 1" solid shaft inside a 2" tube with no bearings at the ends, It just flops around. Same thing with the stub shaft that goes through the hub. When I took the old auto hubs out the splined shaft inside will move in all directions about 1/2" this is bad?

10. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

sounds like the bearind went on that a while ago and flopped around whenever you put it in 4 wheel drive.that means that the spindle on that side is probably junk also.if you look where the axleshaft comes out on the out side of the spindle it should be just enuf space for the axleshaft to wiggle just a little.nowhere near 1/2 inch.with the spindle bearing gone it woould wobble in thespindle and drind the inside of the spindle down on the inside.id tear that side down to the knuckle and take a look at the spindle and also the stub shaft to see if that is worn out also.where it is rubbing both the spindle and shaft are probably worn out as well as the rear of the spindle where the needle bearing is supposed to be.