Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bang!Bang!Bang! W.T.F. is that noise and where is it coming from?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BiggerRigger, Nov 29, 2002.

1. BiggerRigger

BiggerRigger Registered Member

I have have a little grimlin in my blaze the last few weeks and I cannot tell whats going on.
    It has only happened in the mornings so far.
    This is what is happining you take off and get about a block away from the house and driving about 20-25mph and all of the sudden Bang! usually about 3-5 times before you can stop and get under her to see whats going on look at the u-joints and such and see nothing. Get back in and never hear it the rest of the day.
    The sound is definately a loud one and it is comeing from under the truck in the running gear someplace it will shake the whole truck like someone is under it with a 10lb sledge and hitting something hard.
    What ever is making the bangging noise is definately doing some damage and I need to find it soon.
    So what is the place to look first and what should I be looking for.
    and I should add the truck runs along just fine with no other noises after it does this.
    1989 gmc jimmy 5.7l tbi
    3speed+granny manual
    stock 10 bolts front and rear
    no lift
    stock tire size
    and still unclear as to which transfer I have but I think it is a 4??
    I am in need of any help that you can give me as I need this rig as it is our only meens of transportation and the snow is about to fly and I have no (man space) to work in so any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated
    Aaron

2. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I would check the rear ring and pinion... my blazer did that and it had broke a few teeth off, then again my noise and shaking was constant where you said yours is only in the morning... just a thought though.

3. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

definitly check the diffs sound very much like you have a chunk of medal floating around in there.i've had the exact same thing happen to me more than once.i had broken teeth on the spider gears.that chuck of metal gets meshed up in the ring and pinion hence a big bang.just like trowing a stick through someone spokes on a bike.i'd try to get to it asap.driving it your taking a gamble.this happened on my buddy's balzer rolling down a backroad about 60mph,the rear axle locked up competely damn near rolled the truck.it made the motor stop blew 2 golfball size hole in the diff cover and ruined 2 new pair of jeans(haha).

4. BiggerRigger

thanks for the reply guys..what am I looking for when I take cover off just broken teeth or something else...and is there any how tos for replacing this set of gears as this is something that I have never done before....thanks for your help
    Aaron

5. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

there should be chunks of metal.like the size of a raisin maybe bigger or smaller,if there is something broke.when you start hearing banging noises something is usaully broke.as for setting up gears yourself,if your asking how to,then you should have a professional do it.i have never did myself being the correct tools required cost to much and i'd rather have someone that know what there doing set-up my diffs.when you spend $500 on a locker and $300 for ring and pinions.i just as soon spend $150 to get it set up rather than taking the risk of screwing something up and being out $800 in parts.good luck and welcome to the world of wheeling.

6. BiggerRigger

well I think that I have found a source of unwanted 10bolts from a jeeper that has a junkyard in his back yard. What would I want to look for other than what I have(see broken rear gears)allready? And from what I can tell $100 is about right for a used rearend or am I wrong? thanks for your help
    Aaron

7. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

well just for your info, that is the noise my gov-(loc)Bomb made when the case cracked in half /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif