Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bang!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mdm365, Nov 27, 2002.

1. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

were going out of town driving along say around 75 or 80 and all hell breaks loose a big bang under the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif and the engine goes it this rough as in timming poping and dies so I look under the truck and the mufflers had a hole the size of a baseball!! what the f&%k.looked at dist cap saw a little carbon so i wiped it off now i get in and go down the hiway go another 30 miles or so and bam!!! s^&t and the same old story. so now I got the front part of the mufflers all blown out real bad. so now I have vented I will get on to it. I have an 350 1 year old gm crate motor with and hei dist.I had to sit around for 15 mins and go intell it would bang.I also checked the dist lined up on #1 gust fine.It also has fule in the carb when i look in the carb it shoots gas fine and no puddling down the intake.We all just got home so I am going to look at it now get back to the board I will get some pic of the muffler thanks mike /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

2. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Sounds like you threw a Muffler Bearing /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Almost sounds like its going lean. It may have fuel in the carb when your sitting but on a sustained higher RPM its sucking dry. The PSI may be there but the GPM may not be. I am fighting a similar problem myself. Soon as I get a chance I am dropping the tank to check the filter (Ill replace it regardless since Ill have the tank down) on the pick up tube. If its clean when I drop the tank Ill ante up for a Holley or Edelbrock mech. or elect. fuel pump for a better GPH.

4. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifI needed a good laugh /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifall though out side of the bearing that is what mine look like now!! dule and not one but both!!

5. mdm365

mdm365 1/2 ton status

I am going to check the fule pump in the am! its not even a year old but thats not saying much.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Blowing up mufflers is usually caused by unburnt fuel igniting in the mufflers...

Could be bad ignition or the carb puking fuel into the motor.

rene

7. Pure Insanity

Ive had the same problem w/ 3 carbs and 2 pumps all in a matter of days. The pump on the motor when I originally built it NEVER had that problem and I had taken it to just shy of 8000 RPM before. When the diaphagm ruptured I replaced it. The new pump was on less than 100 miles and was sucking the carb dry so I got rid of it and replaced it again. Then I changed carbs thinking the problem may be in it. Enter carb 3 (brand new out of the box this time) . Runs great. When I got on I75 to head to Ocala for Rebel Run I was about an hr from home and had a moron in a Lincoln come over on me /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif so I had to change lanes, pass a semi that had to make the same manuever, and get back in the caravan. When I kicked it in the ass and tuned in about 4000 for a few sec it did it to me again w/ the new carb and new pump. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I backed out and let it come down and build volume again and was able to stab it again to get around. Made me mad as all but it made it around and I got back in line. Its only done it a few times since then, like twice maybe, but I need to get it fixed. All I need is time, and the Blazer no longer fits on the lifts at the shop so I need to do it on the floor. Fortunately PI sits high enough I can get the lowrider tranny jack under the tank to drop it.

8. Pure Insanity

Going lean will also cause violent back fires.

9. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

I have had the similar thing happen to me also except my truck would shoot two foot flames out the tail pipe going down the "highway" in Juneau. It was kinda coll seeing those flmes shoot out at the snow piled up on the highway. But I fixed that problem my truck was running really rich though. And my dist cap was all melted wehn I took it off. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

OK guys,
    I read all the responses so far and I see some people that might have what I had, and this is funny now that I fixed it, but it was no fun when I was making the trip to Pismo.
    It was running fine for 3 months and suddenly it started dying on me after I push it hard, I knew the carb was starving, so I changed the fuel filters and it ran nice for a couple of days, then again it starved.
    I had an electric fuel pump in the truck for backup, so I plumbed it directly to the carb bypassing everything, it worked fine, so I replaced the fuel pump when I got back home thinking I solved the problem.
    Next day I was driving down to Pismo, and it did it again, so I was driving slowly and it finally got so bad, I put the electric pump inline with the other pump, it worked for a few minutes and then again.
    WTF???
    So I was looking at the whole system and I thought, when I bypassed everything, I had also deleted the return line, so I pinched the return line to restrict the flow back to the tank, and voila... It worked.
    The fuel was taking the easy way down into an unrestricted tube going down to the tank, instead of being forced through a small hole with a needle in the way.
    I don't know why it was working before, may be the hose I replaced had a restriction in it or the fuel filter was cloged on that side and then it got all clogged and I replaced it. But now I run a small restriction in the hose so I have enough pressure to the carb.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Mayebe some of you might have the same problem.