Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Banging Head on Wall...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TrcksR4ME, Aug 30, 2003.

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I hate it when the truck runs just fine in the driveway, and then craps out on the test drive /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I have not done anything to the engine of my truck except swap q-jets, now it runs rough on the road. It idled fine in the driveway, let it warm up and it was running at a steady 900 rpm's. Test drive it, runs fine for about a block, then it starts idling rough and almost stalls. It seems like maybe a vacuum leak but I replaced most of the vacuum lines and caps.

I also noticed when I got it back to the house and popped the hood that the upper radiator hose was collapsing when I rev'd it up a little, is this normal? Never seen it do that and I have not touched the cooling system lately.

I dunno, I am about to say F*%! the damn thing and park it. Any ideas/advice/comments? TIA

2. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Change the fuel filter....Do Q-Jets have a screen in the carb? Look for it, and clean or remove it....

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I don't know about having a screen in there? I changed the inline filter but there is also a paper filter in the carb inlet, maybe I'll replace that one too. Gets so frustrating with all these little snags. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

A bad fuel filter wont make the truck run like that. I would say you should check your timing. Also, if it only does this after the truck warms up, and idles fine in the driveway, then you might have a bad egr valve. The egr valve opens with moderate throttle input to let cool air on to the top of the cylinders, but closes back when you stomp on it. If it is sticking then it will make the engine run really rich when it gets hot. My truck was doing the same thing, and it was the egr. Let us know. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    -Harrison