Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Banging when floored

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Dec 10, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Yesterday I floored it, and when the tires gripped the ground, something jumped up and sounded like it banged the floor right under the center console. I think the tranfer case is in the area where it happened , but what would cause this? Everything looks tight, but I will check again. Has anyone experienced this before?

90K5

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Maybe you had some nasty axle wrap and when the pinion snapped back into postion it slammed the slip yoke back in the case. Or could have been that your tranny mounts are going south. I dont know really, just a guess.

"Lord have mercy on my next thirty years"

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Well, I figured it out. The transfer case wasn't even bolted to the crossmember, it was just resting on the rubber mount. I think I know when this happened too. At 114K the transfer case was removed and resealed because it was leaking. It has 134K on it now. They probably forgot to put the bolts back in. They also lowered the case without knowing it either. Some people are really stupid. This would explain my destruction of U-joints and vibrations. I took it around the block after fixing it and immediately noticed a difference. I can peel out too[​IMG]

90K5

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Dude that aint cool... I hope you dont deveop any problems later on because of this.

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Thankfully all it did that i can tell was put a ding in the floor, under the console.

90K5

6. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Now that i think of it you might wasnt to go check if your 4x shifter works properly.

7. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I had a similar problem where I drove about 15K miles with a bad tranny mount...I got the same banging and such...anyways..I fixed the mount, and the U Joint went out...I figured the vibration had fatigued it...I was at Central and Spring Valley when it let go at 6pm...made me a little paranoid about U joints...just a thought...JD

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Thats not a great place for it to go out. Mine went out on George W. Bush when I was going 75

90K5