Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bank of America Screwed Me Over - I need Help/Oponion!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by m1ndless, Apr 3, 2007.

1. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Alright, here is my situation, I have a checking and credit card with them. I set up my credit card payment to come out on the 10th every month, for some reason it came out on the second, and they are telling me that it was not a bank error, and that It is my fault.

So since they took out the $100, that left me with 82, but I put about 100 on my card since last night (dinner and movie and stuff with girlfriend.)

So now I have FOUR transactions that happend when I was "overdrawn" and there is a $20 fee for each time you make a transaction when you have insufficent funds. The only reason I have insuffiecent funds is cause they took out my credit card payment a week too early.

So now I am $119 over drawn, but I am supposed to have $60 in my checking.

Do you think I will win this dispute? I am okay with the 100 being out, but I don't think that I should be charged $80 in fee's because they screwed up and took the money out tooo early.

What are my chances of winning?

Any suggestions? Should I be a complete ass and yell and scream when I call, or what? It works with some places, not sure what to do in this situation though...

I called them just now and they told me I had to call back tomorrow when the fee's were not pending!

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Credit Union and don't look back.

3. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

If they do not take care of these fee's I am really considering switching banks. I am paying 19% interest on my credit card right now, it sucks!!

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Chase moved my payment date ahead a whole WEEK without bothering to send me a statement since I paid by phone most of the time. Got a late fee because I payed it on my normal pay date....a whole week after the day they changed it to. Don't use Chase, Bank of America or Citibank (compiled from other unhappy customers). Fact is it's a bad time to get a new credit card since 99% of rates are variable because they're trying to hedge their bets on what the fed will do.

Good luck winning the fight...they no doubt have a clause in your contract that allows them to cornhole you. Give it a shot, since you never know...but I'll bet you're gonna have to pay it anyway.

5. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I had the same type of thing happen with Wells Fargo. But with Wells, a call and a little bitching (not yelling, just a considerate "What the fukk?") and they'll remove all the overdraft fees. Especially when you say you'll square up with them, but then you want to close your account and go somewhere else, then they jump real quick.

6. wildmandave

wildmandave 1/2 ton status

quit using them, pay them off.

7. SLOK5

SLOK5 1/2 ton status

I have had good luck the very few times I needed an overchage fee removed with BofA, just be nice and tell them what happened.

8. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

X2!

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Do you have documentation showing your automatic payment to be removed on the 10th? If not then you won't win anything. Hard evidence is hard to argue with.

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

From what I hear BofA got to where they are by focking their customers with over draft fees............

11. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Be a pain in their ARSE and it will get you what you want. Then leave B of A they suck!!! Credit Union was the best bank I have ever had!

12. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

[SIZE=-1]they give credit cards to illegal aliens, do you think they are in business to help you out? that gives a hint about how much they care about you. i have a credit union account that charges ZERO for overdraft, it doesnt cost them a cent to automatically move some electronic money around in the blink of an eye. that bank's mission is to screw over americans for a buck.:angry1:
    [/SIZE]

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Be firm and try to work your way up the customer service manager chain until you get the fees removed. Yelling & swearing will, most likely, not help. If that doesn't work try getting the VP of marketing's (not customer service) number and address from either the corporate website or their financial reports and speak to him about it. If that doesn't work tell them you are going to call Clark Howard. http://clarkhoward.com/

Cliff Notes on BoA customer service:

How the BOA blunder went down
    By now, you’ve probably heard the story of the San Francisco man who was arrested and jailed when he tried to verify the validity of a check at Bank of America branch. Clark found out about this story recently and today talked with the man, Matthew Shinnick, who spent about $14,000 in legal fees to clear his name. It all started when Shinnick posted two bicycles for sale on Cragislist and received a check from a man for more than the cost of the bicycles. He went into a BOA branch to see if the check was legitimate and verify that there was money in the person’s account. The check was drawn on a BOA account. The teller told him it was a valid account, so he cashed the check. At that point, BOA employees called police and Shinnick was arrested on fraud charges because the check was actually fraudulent. Matthew had no idea that the real criminal had used the name of a legitimate company to fake a check. So, Matthew sat in the bank branch for hours while police figured out what to do with him. Then, they took him to jail where he spent the night. Once he got out and a judge let him go, he had to clear his name legally so the arrest would not come back to haunt him. He had to hire attorneys to do this and it cost him nearly $14,000. He then went to Bank of America and asked that the bank cover his fees because it was the bank’s error. But BOA turned him down. This kind of treatment sends the message that banks only care about their bottom line, not about their customers. It's unacceptable and Clark thinks it's time to fight back.

14. blazeonchevy

blazeonchevy 1/2 ton status

I started an account with B of A, a checking account, they opened a "free" savings account at the same time. I went in to deposit my check before i had directdeposit and they tell me that im overdrawn on my savings account. I say "well how is that possible? i have never used it?" Well I had never put money in it because i have no use for it. When the first month came along they charged the service fee and that put me as overdrawn by $5. They tried to charge me a fee and all that. Eventually someone came along and helped me out. I got the fee removed, my savings is free and now has a constant balance of $1. :haha:
    I have had nothing but problems with them. They charge me to use their ATM's!:mad:
    and the only card i can get from them only works at a few places.
    All I can say for you is to not lose your temper. Be firm though. Then once this is resolved switch banks.

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

give them a ring and be super nice and explain the whole situation and ask if they will get rid of the fees. If they refuse, tell them you'd like to close your account. They ought to make some sort of compromise... they don't want to lose a guy willing to pay 19% interest.

Credit Unions are better about some things like this, but they can/will hose people for fees also. I had my local credit union screw me one time. I added overdraft protection to my checking account, just to be safe. I had 2 savings accounts there. One with $50ish, once with $2000-ish. One day I accidentally overdrafted by $100. They charged me a fee. I go in to the store and say "wtf?!" and they say, "yes, you have overdraft protection, but we didn't know you wanted that (meaning the big savings) account to cover it. :rolleyes: They never asked me when I signed up for overdraft protection which account I wanted to use to protect the checking... apparently they just picked one on their own... never telling me that a) they did pick just one or b) that they picked the small one. They wouldn't budge.. had to pay the fee.

j

16. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Good advice on Clark Howard, the guy knows his stuff.
    I think what it all boils down to is B of A is a bunch of focking crooks.....

17. hammermachine

hammermachine 1/2 ton status

Banks

Try to work it out, and if you get nowhere pay it off and switch banks. I had a account with Chase for 14 years. Last summer the day before my vacation they screwed me. Then once I complained they kept telling me it was going to be fixed, this went on all weekend. A whole weekend without cash! I went back that Monday morning , ash**les were no help. Tuesday morning same crap. Finally by weds they worked out the problem and sat there smiling at me. I withdrew a couple of hundred dollars, walked over a couple of blocks and opened a act with another bank. ( there were six within a mile of Chase) I'm happy now no issues great service. The best was going back into chase and closing my account. I loved seeing thier faces as I asked for my money and to close my act.

18. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I've been with B of A since before they were B of A (they were NCNB ) over 20 years....never had a problem......:dunno:

19. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I have Military Bank of America. Pretty much the same thing I just get lower rates. Havent had any probs with them (knock on wood).

When I was younger I had a similar prob to yours. Talk to them nicely and explain the situation. It worked for me.

20. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Well its setteled, I hate BoA, they refunded my fees, then charged me for speaking with customer service, I was like WTF, you guys screwed up, made me BROKE for 2 days, absoululey no cash, and now your charging me cause you screwed up, again? They refunded all fee's once they found out I was considering switching banks.

I might go with Chase or a credit union..not sure yet...