Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Banks EGT accurate?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by DukeBoy88, Jun 8, 2006.

1. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I just finished my banks sidewinder install on my M1008 as well as other upgrades. with my empty truck cruising at about 40mph my EGT is about 400 with almost no boost, when I accelerate to 55-60 quickly my EGT climbs to 1000 in about 3 sec. at around 9psi of boost. let ofF the accelerator it almost as quickly falls back to 400. I'm going to turn my pump back 1/8 turn tomorrow and try again, but does this sound right? my pump is a rebuild I found out, could it of been turned up already? I don't see any smoke when I accelerate. The only non-banks item I have that I think could affect the EGT is a DEI Turbo wrap kit, which covers the turbo and downpipe and would retain more heat but I don't know if it would affect temp in the manifold near the probe. Thanks in advance.

2. FightinTXag

FightinTXag 1/2 ton status

Sounds pretty normal to me. Different animal I know, but my Duramax would hit 900+ in stock form with no load. IIRC sustained 1350+ temps is where you should start being concerned. But most say short bursts of up to 1500 probably don't do damage. You have to keep in mind that just because the exhaust shoots up to those temperatures for a matter of a few seconds, the turbo and engine parts don't approach those temperatures until you've sustained that exhaust temp level for some time.

Pre turbo temps do shoot up and down extremely quickly.

Oh and your downpipe/turbo wrap kit will definitely affect manifold EGT's. Even freer flowing exhaust post turbo will have an effect on pre turbo EGT's.

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

DO NOT allow your 6.2 to get even close to 1500°. These are not D-maxes, keep them to 1050° sustained and 1250° for short bursts if you want long life. Anything past 1300° and you risk failure.

That said, your EGT's seem to climb very fast compared to my 6.5, most likely due to your wrap. Remove it and see what happens. Also, what size exhaust are you running with the kit?

4. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

The kit comes with 3" exhaust
    Removing the wrap would partially destroy it in the process, I'd like to try something else first.
    would turning the pump up too much cause this?
    would a lack of fuel supply cause this?

5. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

You have to match your air to fuel or your have high egt!!!

Crewcab59

6. FightinTXag

You say it hits 1000°F in 3 seconds when accelerating to 55-60. I'm assuming once you let off the accelerator it drops back down quickly? Unless you're towing, you probably won't ever sustain that temp. I'd find an entrance ramp to a clear highway and gun the truck from a stop up to 75 or 80 keeping an eye on the pyro (better yet get someone to ride with you and watch the pyro so you can pay more attention to the road). If you don't get over 1250, I'd think it'd be fine.

If you do tow, I'd hook up whatever you pull, take it up a couple hills nearby driving in your usual fashion and make sure you don't get over 1250 at all and that you don't go over 1050 for more than a few seconds.

If you find that the egt's are too high for your liking and you want to do something:

An abundance of fuel relative to the amount of air you're flowing (think black smoke) will yield higher egts. To lower your egts you have to either increase air flow or decrease fuel - which will also cost you power.

So turning down your pump will lower your egts, but you'll also lose some power.

I'd see if there's anything you can do to the air intake and filtering or exhaust to get better air flow before turning down the pump. 3" exhaust may be bigger than stock, but it's still probably not optimal for a turbo 6.2. My duramax (6.6L turbo) had 4" exhaust to the muffler where it switched to 5" (not stock though - 400+ hp). A new clean filter or a better flowing one from amsoil may surprise you.

I'd also leave the thermal wrap you've got. It causes your egts to be higher, but it helps your turbo efficiency. Pre-turbo is not really where you want to be losing heat for the sake of lower egts. You'd rather open up the intake and or exhaust if you can. Then look at turning the pump down.

Spend some time here: http://www.thedieselpage.com/

7. FightinTXag

Oh, I also see you have a 700R4. During hard acclerating or towing, be sure to keep it out of OD if you can.

Remember that an abundance of fuel relative to air flow gives higher egts. At low rpms, the engine isn't flowing as much air. If you've got your foot buried while the tranny's in OD, you'll be dumping a bunch of fuel in while the engine isn't flowing much air. This is called lugging the engine and will cause your egts to shoot up. You want to keep it out of OD and force downshifts to make the rpms higher (if possible) while towing or accelerating hard so that the engine keeps flowing a lot of air.

8. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

Thanks, heading to the highway to do a test.
    This is on the M1008, TH400 tranny 3.73 gears, 34" LTB tires
    And this is a new Banks sidewinder Kit, I'd hope the air filter would still be fine even if its alittle small.

9. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

Took it up a mountain that I could only do 25-30mph before. Did 55-60 and the needle touched 1200. It dropped quickly after letting up. 65 on the highway only produced a max about 1050. (65 is my max for this truck anyway). The needle climbs to 1000 pretty quick which is what was freaking me out but it then just hangs there. I think it'll be ok, I'll be hauling to pocono today so that will be another test.
    I'll do some research on an intercooler. I know of couple people who have upgraded there powerstrokes and cummins, maybe there old stock units can be modified. I needed another excuse to get a TIG anyway.

10. FightinTXag

Adding an intercooler would be a great idea. The 6.5TD rigs always have trouble finding room for one. Most of them end up putting them below the bumper where they are kind of vulnerable especially if you go wheeling.

Seriously spend some time over on that other site and consider buying a premium membership. Lots of technical writeups and product reviews come with their packages. If anybody has successfully gotten an intercooler on a 6.2 you'll find it over there. There was a big write up on a guy who got his naturally aspirated 6.2 to light 'em up - which was pretty amazing.

11. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

IN A JUNKYARD, UNDER A TRUCK*N E Rust Belt
    I noticed on my very tired 6.2 4x4 'Burb that my EGT would climb like a tach. Then drop like a stone off throttle.
    I don't neccesarily agree with FightinTXag about revving in 3rd. Anything out of 4th/lock-up heats up the trans (oil) due to "normal" converter slippage. Unfortunatly, 700R4's were'nt designed for holding back any kind of power. Lock-up in 4th = no slippage/trans heat. I had a common prob on my 6.2 Banks-Burb. Part throttle downshift on hills. Pulling me up just fine, boost/EGT rising, and then a bloody downshift! I bought a little valve from B&M(?) to cure it, but melted a piston(?) before I had a chance...

12. FightinTXag

I'm pretty sure the 700R4 will lockup in 3rd as well as 4th. Given that I think the impact on keeping the shifter in D is pretty negligible. Keeping the revs higher will reduce EGTs, which was the original point of the thread.

But as for tranny impact:

In the towing case, even if your stays unlocked in 3rd, the tranny will stay cooler and live longer than if it's constantly hunting in 4th.

Under acceleration, ie freeway passing or highway entry, I don't think the momentary downshift is going to be that detrimental to the tranny. The effect of lower EGTs and engine longevity to me would definitely outweigh any potential transmission benefit of avoiding a downshift.

At any rate, it's moot for the poster since he has a TH400.

13. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

Seems to me my '83 1/2T 305-700R4 4x4 would lock up in 2nd gear. Talk about stupid! Lug city... I unplugged a 2 wire thingy next to the heater box, (not sure why I "picked" it) and reverted to lock-up via trans pressure/vehicle speed. In other words, at a proper speed. No more lugging. But I'm off topic...

Thanks for the trans primmer, now have to get a poster showing those facts... anybody?

14. linksvu

linksvu Registered Member

The EGT's seem just a bit higher than my bank'd 6.2, but I have emissions here so I had to turn the pump down.

Check the timing as well...it could help keep the mixture where you want it

15. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I've adjusted the pump down 1/8th turn, so it is now 1/8th turn up from where I started. That seems to be the sweet spot, still have to watch on steep climbs with a trailer but it did well hauling a loaded 16' (5000lbs) from PA to KY last weekend, 65mph the entire way. Or it would have, My week spot now is my tranny, ordered a B&M stacked plate cooler, thank god I installed a temp gauge.

16. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I removed the muffler, The Banks muffler is just too quiet, I also wanted to see if EGT's were affected. havented had a good test for that yet. At idle it sounds good, partial throttle, still good nice grumble and whistle, beyond that it almost sounds like a jake brake, not good. I don't mind it too much but I'm now looking for a simple straight through muffler for it. A glasspack design may work even though it will eventually clog. Moroso has a corkscrew looking muffler that I'd like to hear. whats everyone using?

17. uglytruk

uglytruk 1/2 ton status

18. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I bought and installed the Moroso racing muffler ($46 Summit). It has a combination of a straight pipe with a corkscrew around it. I didn't think it would do much at first glance but it works really well. Nice rumble, I can't hear the whistle as much any more though. I will tow something next weekend to see how it affects EGT's if at all.