Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Banks Exhaust manifolds

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 86dieselburb, May 19, 2005.

1. 86dieselburb

86dieselburb 1/2 ton status

Anybody ever tried to buy new Banks turbo exhaust manifolds? I'm putting together a 6.5 and would like to turbo it. I see all kinds of good used GM8 & GM6 turbos on ebay that I figure wouldn't be too hard to adapt to Banks manifolds.

Ebay seems to get a regular supply of GM turbo exhaust manifolds up for auction, but I'd like to keep my heater box. So I figure the banks manifolds would be the simpliest route. And adapting the GM8 turbo would be a better option than the turbo supplied with a banks kit.

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It is possible to keep factory air and use the factory 6.5 turbo in the older trucks. I have seen a few pictures. I am putting a 6.5TD complete into my 78 Sub with factory dual air. You have to get a little creative - but it is possible.

But to answer your question, I believe you can buy a banks manifold from banks, at least you used to be able to.

3. 86dieselburb

Is you 6.5 in? Can you post up some pics if and when you get it all set-up? I'm sure others would like to see.

I'll have to email Banks and see what they say.

4. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It is not in at this time. It probably won't actually be in the truck until mid summer. But I will take pictures.

5. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Yes, you can purchase a Banks manifold separately. I did a couple of years ago. I pieced together my own turbo system, and the only parts I bought new were the crossover pipe and the right hand exhaust manifold. I don't remember how much it was, but it wasn't cheap...somewhere in the $200 range, and the crossover pipe (two pieces) was about $160.

You keep your left hand manifold. The crossover pipe bolts up to it, goes down across the front of the engine, and back up and bolts to the new Banks manifold. The GM turbo should bolt up to the Banks manifold from what I've gathered.

Casey

6. 86dieselburb

Thanks Casey, I just saw some GM 6.5 turbo manifolds go for $140 on ebay. $200+/- isnt bad, for the manifold, considering you would get to keep the stock heating/ac and not have to notch the frame.