Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

banks power or 454 swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by general blaze, Nov 13, 2006.

1. general blaze

general blaze 1/2 ton status

ok so i have a 83 blazer with the 6.2 i am not happy with the power so i am going to do something about it. should i spend the cash and get a banks sidewinder kit. or just throw in a 454 that i have sittin in the shop.

i go to glamis alot and i am getting pretty mad that these stupid little toyota trucks and little rhino golfcarts are making it up olds and i am not.. this is not cool. anyway let me know what you guys think.. i want this to happen soon.\

2. bigblock72

bigblock72 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The 6.2 will never be much of a dune runner. You need to get away from the nasty oil burner and get yourself a motor that'll run. The big block will easily outdo the 6.2 in every way (except fuel milage) and if it has some go fast goodies it should take you wherever you want to go and beat some of those loud obnoxious golf carts.

3. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I'd sell the 6.2 blazer and buy a gasser. I'm sure one of these oil burner guys would love to buy a factory diesel K5.

4. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

what's your set up? i assume a 6.2/700/208 w/ what gearing?

5. general blaze

general blaze 1/2 ton status

i dont know what you mean about those numbers. it is a stock set up. it has high gears no low end power. it is a 6.2 and i have no idea what gears i have but i want to change axels and gears asap.

6. colbystephens

i'd bet you've got 3.42's or 3.73. the biggest problem with the diesel set up is that they typically come with very poor gearing. that vehicle was designed solely for fuel economy, thus the high gears. before you put money into a turbo or a new engine, find a set of axels w/ 4.10 or 4.56 gears and then see how that truck performs - i bet you'll be surprised. ever thought of going to a manual transmission? that will increase the amount of power you feel significantly too. i've got a 6.2 w/ a manual and 4.10s on 35's, and it gets me up and going as fast as i'd ever want it to.

edit. those numbers i listed out: 6.2/700/208 stand for 6.2L diesel engine/700r4 transmission (automatic w/ overdrive)/np208 transfercase. ;)

7. SHAPER

SHAPER Registered Member

Well, if you got a 454 sitting around...I woudl think its a no-brainer. ;)

8. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

IMHO diesels don't rev enough to be a really good dune runner. I think it would help a ton though if you got the banks sidewinder kit. I am a fan of diesels and would love one to wheel, but if it was mostly sand then I would have to say go with the gas motor.

9. colbystephens

that's probably right. i don't know anything about glamis...

10. DesertDueler2

DesertDueler2 1/2 ton status

Yea, except in glamis there are some sick dodge diesels. But if your staying chevy, I would recomend a small block over a big block. That is alot of weight. I would also lighten your truck as much a possible. Big heavy trucks have a hard time going u olds hill. Put a small block in it, and 4.56 gears and keep the rpms up.Dan

11. DesertDueler2

Also getting some paddles will help too.Dan

12. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

a BBC doesn't weigh that much more than a SBC, since you have one sitting around run it. As already said it may be worth selling your truck and getting a gasser if you don't have a lot tied up in you current rig

13. DesertDueler2

A big block is 150 lbs heavierDan

14. twodollars

twodollars Registered Member

I went the other way with my burb - 454 tbi to 6.5. But I added a blower instead of the turbo. With some careful consideration of parts, the 6.5 will make great power and torque. I have a 88 burb with a 6.5 and the banks kit (used to be a 6.2). Once up on boost, it really comes alive. But the banks turbo is a little loose, and takes some time to spool up. I'm planning on a different turbo with a waste gate in the future.