Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Banks Stinger exhaust

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by cegusman, Feb 17, 2003.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I am thinking of getting the Bank's Stinger exhaust system , just was wondering if anyone had experiance with it, is it not worth the money"$725 shipped". My existing exhaust is rusting away no leaks yet but sould be soon. If not recommended then what is?

[​IMG]

2. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Hard to compare to other exhaust systems. This kit has extra stuff a normal exhaust wouldn't have. If you don't have an EGT gauge, K&N filter or modified filter housing then it would most likely be worth it.

I like their crossover, that is one part I would have bought seperately(if possible). Was going to use the crossover and piece together a single 3.5" system. The truck I was going to use it on already had an Isspro EGT and modified air inlet.

But if you want it for only the exhaust, then yes it's expensive. Check out the TDR and look under the advertisers. Their are some custom exhaust shops that sell just pieces. The first gen parts should work on our body style, like the offset piece to clear the NP205. Also have tailpipes up to 5" diameter.

3. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Very minimal gain for tbe money. Just have a shop put the stock exhaust on with an H-pipe and free flowing mufflers. Much cheaper and you will get the same gain in exhuast flow.

4. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

I copied this exhaust system for my '84 K20. I bought the Y pipe from a big diesel shop down in Texas, i cant remember the name right now, Then i had an exhause shop order me a "universal" 3" mandrel bent tail pipe and a high flow Dynamax 3" muffler. This made up 90% of the system, and they only had to fab up one short piece to connect it all together. I already had a K&N filter and didnt need the EGT guage. I saw great improvements with this exhaust, plus the new sound was super cool. If i ever had another 6.2 this would be the first thing id do to it.
    You can put this together for less than $400.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Tori, you had a 6.2?
    I never saw you here before you must be going nuts stuck at home.
    I think you have posted more in the past week than in the last year.
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I called banks, $155 for the crossover which I didn't consider too bad. The offset around the t-case was like $75, little steep if ya ask me. I thing one of the TDR suppliers offers an offset pipe to clear the NP205 on the early dodge diesels for less. 3" flowmaster tailpipe can be had for around $80. Key thing to look for is mandrel bent pipe, not run of the mill press bent from most exhaust shops.

7. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

I was looking in the Summit Racing cat. last night and they sell a y-pipe with 2.5" pipes merging into a 3". I was thinking about making me a high-clearance system with a single 3 out the back. Summit also sells the 3" slip fit tail-pipe kit for about $65. Here's a link, tail pipe kit. Can this be made to clear the rear end on a 4x4?

Chris /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. steelsoldiers

Have any of you guys called Banks to see how much the Monster Exhaust is by itself? If not, I'm going to give them a ring out of curiosity. That crossover is sweet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Better than I could fabricate with a y-pipe.

Chris

9. steelsoldiers

I just called them and the exhaust is $430 by itself. The guy also said they are running a special on the turbo kit/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif for $1899 which is $200 less than normal. I still can't afford it, but that's a pretty sweet deal though.