Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bar between the T-case and the Tranny bell.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JORGE, Jun 7, 2002.

1. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    What is the mission of that bar wich is bolted with two enormous bolts ,at the Np 208 T-case and bolted in her other extreme,to the automatic tranny bell?
    I have broken the small bolt,wich is bolted to the engine ,across the bell.I can,t to extract the broken bolt,without remove the tranny or the engine.
    A mechanic have said to me,that this bar hasn,t any special mission,but if i want ,i could to attach it to other place in the chassis,with a silentblock.I would have to modify the bar.
    Is really necessary this bar?
    Thanks

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

It is used to stablize the transfer case

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It helps prevent the transfer case or adapter from breaking under stress. The transfer case is just hanging from the back of the transmission and that bar keeps it in place. Don't attach the other end of the bar to the chassis. The way the bar is mounted, the engine and transfer case are free to move together as the engine/trans/t-case move in their mounts. If you mount the other end of the bracket to the frame, then the bracket would hold the transfer case stationary while the engine was trying to move it. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

4. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I would suggest to get it fixed, the 4 bolts that goes through the transfer case adapter into the 4 threaded holes in the transmission are known to be weak. If you leave the bar off there is even more stress on an already weak area.

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I would also say to get it fixed.

6. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

I was talking to James at ORD and asked the same question in regards to installing my doubler. He said the primary reason they put those in ( they attached them in many places) was to stop brakeing the back end of the transmission off when people would snag a rock real hard with the transfercase. It was not done because of to much torque. Take it for a third had opinion.

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

In 1st/ early 2nd gens they bolted the TC to the frame thru a set of bushings. I think thats better than their latter answer. But they do let more noise/ vibration through. So I think that's why they went to the other way on the newer stuff.

8. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

45acp: interesting theory, and it comes from a trustworthy source. While staring at my th350/np205 for hours on end, in my rolling chassis, I pondered what to do about a brace. That np205 is a heavy SOB and there is a lot of leverage with all that weight, being put on the tail of the th350. Especially the thin aluminum, it scares me.. I was thinking that any extremely hard bouncing/whoops might cause it to break.. The only reason I havent installed the bracket is because my np205 isnt milled or drilled for the bracket. But I DO have one (although its too long and Id have to shorten it but thats really no problem..)...

9. JORGE

JORGE 1/2 ton status

VITORIA-GAZTEIZ(ALAVA)BASQUE COUNTRY,SPAIN
    Yeah,that,s what i though.
    The case is that the other day i was climbing a mountain in low gear.The next day i saw the truck let a big ATF spot in the garage floor.It was leaking between the T-case and the tranny.
    I went to the work-shop to replace the the gasket,and i said to the mechanic that it must to repair the broken bolt and reinstall th bar.But when i went to find the truck yesterday,they said to me that is impossible to remove the broken bolt,and i would have to wait if some day i must to remove the engine,for extracting this bolt.
    I think,if they have removed the T-case for replace the gasket,they could to removed the tranny too,and extract the broken bolt.But they makes the things like they want,no like the customer wants.
    /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

10. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

Mike, Like yourself I am at the rolling chassis stage. I have some old pictures in my webshots album. I am in the process of building the supports for my doubler now and will post pictures later. I am using a bridge over the top and they will hang from 4 motor mounts that are mounted on the frame rails. I am using ball joints at the transfer cases to attach the supports. If you are interested I will be glad to email pictures but it will be a while since I only work on it a few hours each week.

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Dude, you rock! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I've (eventually) got to cobble together some new support cross members too, and I was pondering what to do about mounts. Rubber support issolators like the stock case/tranny, shackle type bushings inside tube, etc. I have an extra set of motor mounts and cups that will work perfectly on the cross member ends, and it never even crossed my mind. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif