Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

bare with me plz, i dont know what to do

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by luk3, Nov 4, 2002.

1. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

ok here is my problem, im currently looking for a new 4x4 something not as large as my 73 3/4 ton. ive been looking at k5s for almost a year now i want the first gen pref but heres my prob, when i go 4x4 in north idaho theres heep trails ect so i was thinking somethign not so wide, i was looking at the E.M. broncos but i dont wanna drive a ford engined vehicle. i was thinking maybe putting a 89 350 efi in one but how much work do u think that would be? one other vehicle came to mind which was a scoutII what do u guys think about the scoutII i hear there pritty damn tuff but i dont know to much about the 345 engine ect. im totaly lost now i still want a k5 in my head but i just dont know if it will work trying to 4x4 with my non-fulsize trucks in northern idaho. any imput would help even tho you guys will tell me to stick with the k5 hehe

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Just get an S-10 blazer and do a Solid Front Axle swap and 350 EFI engine. Then you can have a mini K5.

3. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

more work that making a em bronco powerd by chevy

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

If you want something that looks like a K5 that would be the way to go. If you want simple and no extra work get the IH Scout. Can't go wrong with the IHC.

www.binderbulletin.org
    www.oldihc.org

Those are a couple of good sites for IHC info.

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

not to knock the blazers...but if i was to do it all over again...i would have started with a EB...but i was such a hard ass about not wanting to drive a ford is why i went with the blazer..they are not cheep to build but they are awsome to wheel with....many people on here that were at blazer fest in holister that saw the blue bronco that was there (even tho he had bad luck 2 years in a row at a blazer event) that think can out wheel the blazer any day..he put a 5 1/2 inch lift and 3 inch body and 35s and wheeled the rubicon with front a rear axles open without a problem..hardly even lifted a tire on anything..with the front coils they twist up very well...but on the other hand...i love my blazer...it has very rarely let me down on the trail..just kinda dissapointing watching a jeep or something smaller wheel something with ease..and i spend 10X as long tryin to get threw the same spot without body damage..but..basicly its all up to...what do ya like to do...if you are lookin at narrow trails...by all means go with the EB or a jeep...if you are into some wider trails or just some mild wheelin..the blazer can handle alot of it without major mods...a lift and lower gears and beef up the steering box area and a min of 35" tires and should be basicly good to go..../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif wheelin is wheelin no matter how ya look at it...thats my .02

6. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

herm im sure i will see somethign i liek and fall inlove with it i know for sure i dont want a heep , a scout woudl be cool dont see to many of them geared up for 4x4in and there about 6 inches longer than a em bronco. im still not sure i guess ill just keep reading up on stuff.

7. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

i foudn this i here there is only liek 356 of them made1976 SCOUT II Bicennential model its 3500 for 77 thousand miles or soemthing if its rare i wonder what its worth, anyone have any ideahs??

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Hey I am with Chazz, I love GM because they are cheaper and easier to work with, but I also have a full size jeep which is about 4 inches narrower than the blazer and the top about 4 inches lower so it still has the stability.
    I love scout, and early broncos but the scout is rare, and the bronco just costs too much to work with. I had a lot of friends that had them and they were unstoppable but they ended up getting jeeps after a while.
    I still love my Blazer, I will never not have one, but I also want a smaller trail truck so I have no brand loyalty, as long as I fix it and modify it, this is half the fun.
    Oh and I put chevy running gear and power in it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I know how you feel I ran a 76 toyota landcruiser with a fuel inj. 400 sbc Lockers at both ends, I also put in a 465 with a 73 t/case 4wheel disk 3in lift, That old cruiser would wheel it's ass off, Now I'm running this K5 damn I can't do most of the trails I used to do without major body damage. But now I can take the wife and kid and camping gear without having to get a trailer Even though I can't do the really hardcore trails I have room can carry 31gal of gas in the tank. Oh hell the list goes on and on, In the long run you'll want a K5.

Eric

10. luk3

luk3 1/2 ton status

haha that would be a long long run im only 19 hehe