Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Barfing Hydro Assist Problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've got this problem with my hydro assist system that I just hooked up. While it is running, I can add fluid untill its topped off and it seems to work OK. When I shut it off, it barfs out quite a bit of fluid. The only thing I changed on the system was the addition of the ram. I did notice that the fluid is still rather ariated (sp?).

Do I need to just wait untill the air is out of the system? This seems like it is the case. The air is just getting compressed while the system is running and is then uncompressing when the pump is off and pushing out with the fluid.

But I wanted to check. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Matt, is your resevoir the highest part of the system? Every factory system I have seen moves the fill above the normal locations. Also, I think you could still have some air in the system. I have found that you really need to check the fluid level with the engine off. Don't add any after starting the engine. You may need to work the air out with thew engine aff if the pump squeals (cavitating, sucking air). Jack up the front and turn the wheels back and forth about fifty times (seriously, I read that somewhere once to do if replacing major power steering componets). Lets see if can ramble on for another 5 minutes of slow typing..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Sandman

My cooler pokes up above the fill a little bit but I've run it that way for years with no problems.

Right now if I fill it sitting still and fire it up. It sucks away and whines pretty bad. I top it off and it barfs back.

Looks like air in the system. I'll just spend some time on it tomorow and see if it gets better.

I have 11 days now to get it going right. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Did you make sure you do not have a suction side leak causing air to be sucked into the pump?

5. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

It took me awhile to purge all of the air out when I added the hydro assist to my hydroboost system. I can imagine that you have many places for air to trap itself. you may even want to let it sit overnight for some of the air move around (maybe out). Good luck!

Oh yeah, you have 11 days to work out some air.

I have 11 days to:
    wire an LT1
    run fuel lines and mount filter
    change out in tank pump
    move rear back 3"
    have driveshafts cut and install
    mount new tires and provide clearance via sawzall

Ok, I gotta go back to the geerage /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. Sandman

Right now the system is tight. It wasnt at first but I went through it, so currently, I dont think thats it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

7. Sandman

Moab isnt Moab without an official "Moab Crunch". /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Take a look at this
    http://forum.socalbigdawgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=4782

I still haven't mounted the reservoir (unless you cound zip ties) but I really like it.

There are alot of good parts on vans!

I already had a van trans dip stick so I can check the fluid level standing on the ground...now I can do the same with the power steering (and it holds more fluid as well).

9. FWP

FWP CRS

I extended the fill neck on the resevoir to solve that problem I had at the beginning. Cut the neck off about halfway, add about 3-4 inches of radiator hose and a couple of hose clamps, and UR Dun /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I obtained a similar powersteering pump from a Chevy Deisel pickup. Never seen one before on one of our year pickups so I snagged it. I had planned on cutting the resevoir up and welding the important peices to a longer tube to make a larger capacity resevoir. I figure with about 2-3 times more capacity, should feed just about any cylinder you would use for steering plus allow the whole system to remain a little cooler.

11. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I extended the fill neck on the resevoir to solve that problem I had at the beginning. Cut the neck off about halfway, add about 3-4 inches of radiator hose and a couple of hose clamps, and UR Dun /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah what he said. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Went trolling through the local "Pick-a-part" yesterday and found that the AWD Astro and Safari vans come with hydro-boost, ABS and the remote resevoir power steering. i snagged the remote resevoir, and have plans to make it work with the pump I have now for added capacity.

Rene

13. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds normal untill you get all the air out of the system.. do the above and it will fix the problem.

14. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

When I installed my ram, I replaced the fulid with synthetic ps fluid at the suggestion of Matt w/WTOR, he said it will not foam as much as regualar ps fluid. After filling the resivor the first time, I jacked up the front end till the tires were off the ground and then worked the wheel back and forth numerous times without the engine running and would refill the resivor as needed. Then I started the engine and worked the wheel back and forth without going to full lock and again adding fluid as requried.

So far it has never blown out any fluid, nor does it foam the fluid.

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i did this mod... didnt see any need to cut off my resevoirs neck though...

j

16. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i did this mod... didnt see any need to cut off my resevoirs neck though...

j

[/ QUOTE ]

this would work if you had another neck you could use. i did mine with another neck so no cutting for me either.

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

well yeah, I had another one to use... definitely be a good idea to do it that way just in case the hose extension gets toasted somehow and you have to cap the resevoir in the stock location.

j

18. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you still have air in the system.
    Like it has been said, jack up the front and work it back and forth many, many times. When I installed my hydro assist, the pump had a different tone for a few days but finally went away.

I wrote an article to address the issue of PS pump access when you have OBA.
    On Board Air article

19. Sandman

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I ended up moving the cooler around, rerunning some hoses and jacking the front up and moving it around about 50 times.

It doesnt barf anymore but the fluid is still somewhat ariated but getting less so as time goes on. I have not extended the neck but I plan to if I have the time. I have extra capacity in some long lines and the cooler itself so it might work out OK anyway. We'll see. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif