Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Barjan junk

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by lak2004, Feb 6, 2007.

1. lak2004

lak2004 1/2 ton status

Ok so I went to Flying J and got a Barjan 4ft fiberglass CB antenna. I wasnt really paying attention when I bought it and it is non adjustable. So I installed it and I cannot get it tuned right, I cut down the fiberglass on the top and the SWR on ch1 was reading about 1.5 and channel 40 was a little under 2.0 19 was about in the middle of those. But now I have no more to cut off! And as soon as I put the rubber cap on it got all messed up and now it is wayyyy off again. Should I get a dif antenna that is adjustable? Oh yea I have a Cobra 25 classic

2. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

Spend the money and get a good antenna. Even the best radios are junk without a properly tuned quality antenna. I used to run Firesticks, Francis, Barjans, and even K40's. The first time I broke down and bought a good Wilson, the difference was like night and day.

3. lak2004

lak2004 1/2 ton status

So Wilson is what I should look into? Sounds good I will check them out. Thanks!

4. BigEasy

BigEasy 1/2 ton status

Look into a Wilson 2000. I prefer the stainless antennas because the fiberglass ones crack, they're harder to tune, and I've had them come unglued out of the metal stud before. Curious, where do you have your antenna mounted?

5. lak2004

lak2004 1/2 ton status

I will post up a picture in a little bit, I messed with it more today and got it working but I am still going to change it.

6. lak2004

lak2004 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went back and did the cable a little different at the antenna where is goes inside so it wasnt looped, and I also wire brushed the paint down to bare metal where it is mounted so it is getting a good ground. So far the SWR is below 1.5

7. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

This type of antenna is adjusted by grabbing the end of the wire and pulling out a little at a time and cutting it off till you hit the SWR you want. Only problem is if you go past what you want you can't put it back so be carefull and only pull out a wrap or so at a time.

These antennas "work" ok, but there are many better.

8. lak2004

lak2004 1/2 ton status

Yea I finally figured that out and i got it working pretty good, but I am still going to buy a dif antenna.