Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

barn doors on my M1009?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by USAJon, Jan 16, 2007.

1. USAJon

USAJon 1/2 ton status

well here I sit looking @ my 1984 surburban parts truck and my M1009...has anyone ever grafted aka mig weliding the rear barn door assembly/roof line/permently to a M1009? I use mine to haul tools/small equiptment and that fold down tail gate makes it very hard to acces the back part of the truck. if I go this route i will sell my tailgate w/rool up window...military one..excellent condition too!

2. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Not that I've seen. I have heard it will take some fabbing. Take a few measurements and go for it. You will have to cut the back of the fiberglass cap off and there is a metal structure for support but I think it is only about 4" wide. Shouldn't need it if you use the back of the suburban.

Hard part would be the seal between the modded cap & Sub rear.

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

You might want to look at cutting off the top of the barn doors and only using the bottom half. Make a flip up hatch for the top portion that stays on the fiberglass top if you ever want to remove it down the road.

4. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

There's a guy somewhere here in Michigan who sorta did what you're talking about. Took a Sub and a K5 and put the Sub roof and barn doors on the K5. No removable hard top on the K5. All custom but nice work.

Just a random thought...