Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Barn Doors to Tailgate?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by or2play, Jul 27, 2002.

1. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

My barn doors need a lot of work. Thought about changing them to a tailgate. Anyone ever done it?. Thoughts or ideas......

2. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

I can say I prefer the tailgate to the doors, although I';ve never done the conversion...

get the complete tailgate assembly from a donor vehicle, including the `helper spring' torshin bar... without that thing, you get to feel all 140 Lbs of steel, everytime you want to close that thing. ( I know this, because the previous idiot cut the torshin bar to pull teh gate at some point, and I;ve not had one in forever)

all the nessicary holes to put the tailgate on are already there... oh, and don't forget the fiberglass upper cowl that the window rolls up into, or you'll not be very successful in the functionality endevors...

-Rich

3. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

I am going the opposite direction (tailgate to barn doors) and can probably give you a tip that will help. The part of the conversion that kinda caught me by surprise is that the two configurations use different door sills.

The tailgate sill has cutouts to accomodate the hinges, whereas the barn door sill has a sunken area to accomodate the lower door latches. I purchased a new one from GM to swap so that the barn doors I picked-up will fit.

Other than that one issue, it's pretty much of a straightforward swap. Just try to find a donor vehicle that you can get all the miscellaneous little bolts, hinges, torsion bar, trim pieces, etc. from.