Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Barn doors to tailgate

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by burban33, Feb 7, 2003.

1. burban33

burban33 Registered Member

I have a 89 burb with barn doors and i was wondering if i could bolt a tailgate setup onto it or would it require various fabrication to bolt it up?

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

3. will89

will89 1/2 ton status

I have an 89 burb with a tailgate and Ive been wondering if i could bolt on a barn door set up? Seriously, the tailgate windows (electric) are a big fat pain in the ass. The only thing I like about the tailgate,besides sitting on it drinking beer and shootin' the breeze, is being able to hang my kayaks out. I just lift them up and close the gate. If I had barns I'd have to tie them up and they'd still be banging around.

The motors are too slow, small, and wired with too thin of a gauge. The regulator (150) is underbuilt and wears out, motors burn out (130), and the electric key switches (55) break frequently.If you can pull off a switch to a tailgate I'd look for one with a manual window. just my .02$**

**I've have a bit of bad luck and may be expressing a biased opinnion but its all true!

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I wish I could put barn doors on my blazer but we all realize thats not happening.

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

guess you haven't looked at grim's trail packing article

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

no I didn't maybe I will then. <edit> just looked and sorry no that wouldn't work for me. I mean like true suburban barn doors. Really wish it could happen but it won't. Unless maybe I custom grafted the top and barn doors of a burban on. Which I could do but be a lot of body work and would be really mad if it turned out bad. I'd like a lined roof and all for noise dampening even though most noise comes from the ground and low.

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

You can only do the swap if you have a pre 83 suburban. After 83, they stopped making the swap available, the only other way to do the swap is to graft the whole back end of a pre 83 burb onto your /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif