Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

barn doors

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by ryoken, Apr 16, 2005.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

whats a fair price for some clean barn doors? what years where they available? are they hard to come by?

just passed on some real clean ones for 200... prolly could have got them for 150...

i want to convert my 87 K5 to barn doors, but its kinda low on the priority list so i passed on em.. kinda kickin myself... :crazy:

2. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

Well me personally would pay $200 for doors. And if you can get for $150... not too shabby :waytogo: And good luck with the k5 to barn doors. That sounds like a lot of custom work!! Also the barn doors come from 73-91. I learned from muddytazz who does a lot w/ burbs. the 73-81 burb had the same body for both tailgate and doors. the 82-91 body was different for doors or tailgate. but as you are looking at doing this to a k5 you will be looking at a lot of custom work I would imagain anyhow :D

3. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Man id give 5 bucks just to see a k5 with barn doors.

4. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

what you going to do withe removable top? Like, how will that seal wiht the barn doors?

5. ryoken

not exactly sure yet.. need to see how the doors "want" to fit, etc.. i planned on having to remove the window frames and go with custom glass for each door.. that would be best..

it would be easiest more than likely to use the whole doors (leave the window frames) and just mod the back of the cap to recieve the window frames.. but then you'd have to run with the cap on all the time.. and thats no good... ;)

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

no nesasaraly

i have been thinking of this one for a while when i had my k5 i wanted to do this too.

My plan was to cut back the top a bit to resive the doors, and the cut the doors in half at the bed line then cap the top and bottom with plate so the doors could be bolted/unbolted for top/topless driving

7. ryoken

i don't get it? :confused: :o

you mean have no window glass?

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

no below the windoe cut the door in half horazontaly, the where you just cut cap so you could unbolt the top half of the doors and take them off, leaveing you with a split tailgate, you would have to get rid of the upper latch, but i dont think it would work on the plastic cap anyway..

9. ryoken

hmmm, interesting... :thinking: