Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Barnacle-The Official Thread

Discussion in 'Southeast Region' started by 79Stomper, Jun 4, 2006.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

And so it begins......... (<-------Clicky)

Going to use this as the Project Barnacle Buildup Page.

This is original from the linked thread above.

Well got back late last night with a new project vehicle. Nicknamed Barnacle by Johns wife. Going to be a ground up rebuild. Slowly but surely it will all come together.

Big thanks to John and CB for helping me load the trailer. Now only if I could get it unloaded............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1986 Military Blazer, used to be a Comm Truck. Wrecked in the front end. needs a new frame, front clip, and welll everything else to make these things go. Most of it is all ready lined up with the help of the Southeast Regions Parts Supplier (clarkjw24) and then it will still need some.

A real fixer upper....:D:D:D

Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

:thinking: Budget build huh? I allready see a boxed frame coils and rocky's. Anyone want to start the betting? Before the end of the year James will have or be looking for a set of steering duece and halfes.

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Nah, all the cool kids have dueces now, be a trendsetter and get some Mogs. :pimp:

4. 79Stomper

Well I would LOVE to run across a set of steering dueces to run under it. If I would have had a plasma cutter a few months ago, I would have gotten about 4 sets of mog axles............but no tools so had to leave them there. I have a set of 3/4 ton axles right now so will run them for a while with 5.13's and both locked. But looking for a set of Rockies.

My version of a budget build is going to be a slow build where it doesn't hurt my budget like the last one. No more placing 2,000 dollar orders on a rig aat one time. If I do that it will be on the Tow Rig.

5. sapper

The tow rig, thats funny because me and Ryan are swaping pms right now about duramax mods.

6. 79Stomper

Got started

Well I got started today on Project Barnacle. It has been sitting in the yard for about 4 days now and couldn't take it no more, so I started the dis assembly of the tub. Got the doors off and the gate off of it and found I need to remove 4 body bolts to finish pulling the tub off of the bent frame. :mad: I see they are going to be a PITA. Picking up a new frame and a 14 bolt rear this Saturday and going to put the 52's on and find some rear springs for it so I can make it a moving frame. Will post more pics as the buildup continues.

I have a lead on a 6.5L Turbo too:D:D:D:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

And so, another saga begins!! :bow:

8. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

So old Herman forgot a couple of bolts.:rolleyes: I didn't think they were all off, just from the fact that it didn't seem to move at all while we were loading it.

How bad does the firewall look since you've got the pass fender off?

9. sapper

6.5 huh? Sounds cool, I would say go with the 56's in the back, I regret not using the ones I had but at the time I was really lazy (I did get a kick butt tool box though). How much body are you going to put back on?

10. 79Stomper

Firewall has a good split in the top of it but I am figuring a mig can take care of that. I would guess it is dented in about 4 or so inches but a hammer and a 4x4 should straighten everything out quite nice. Plus I am going to put a block plate on there to cover the holes so not worried about getting it perfect.

Not sure how much body I am going to put back on. I know a front clip with some weight reduction done to it but that will more than likely be the extent of it. Rear springs I am going to go with what John is running. Going to call around tomorrow and find me a set or two on the cheap hopefully. I think he is running 64's..........

11. 79Stomper

Update 10 June

Well, it is late now so taking a rest. Went this morning and picked up a new frame and 14 bolt FF for Barnacle. Got the frame stripped of all brake and fuel line and wiring and such. Pulled all the bolts off and t case bracket. Going to get out there in the morning and pressure wash the frame and barnacle while I am at it. I need a few more parts and then I can have the front axle mounted up and half way rolling. Tomorrow is going to be clean and paint day. Will post some pictures tomorrow of the frame and such.

12. 79Stomper

27 June

Well frame is out from underneath the truck. Have it stored in a bay and well I jsut need to cut up the frame and well find a home for it. Heading down next week to pick up another truck to excavat parts from to go onto Barnacle.

Have 52's for the front, 63's for the rear suspension. I need to replace some bushings in the springs and will be good. If this rain will ever stop, I will be able to put the axles underneath the new frame and have a roller. Need to put the shackle flip on the rear and finish cleaning up the frame.

13. clarkjw24

I need more pics.:D

14. sapper

I had to pic up my pressure washer from his house yesterday while he was in Alabama, of course I had to poke through his parts, its funny how those 63's just jumped into my truck:D

15. clarkjw24

You don't want those 63s. What you need is a set of 56s:rolleyes: :doah: :D

16. 79Stomper

9 July

Well no more progress on Barnacle but have scored alot of parts that will be needed in the coming weeks for the rebuild. Here are some pics of what was scored. A big thanks goes to CBBR for the M1008. It cost me about 120 in gas to go down and pick it up while I was all ready in Alabama.

[​IMG]
    Here it is on the trailer. From here you can see the front clip. Some what rust free but there is some cancer in it but nothing a cutting wheel won't fix up. It is in alot better shape than I thought it would be in.

[​IMG]
    Back of the truck. As you can see the tailgate which will be used. Also a set of rear springs still on the back of the truck:thinking:

[​IMG]
    And the 6.2 L diesel motor. Looks like everything is still there. A few melted battery cables and a few rats nest of wiring that I will have to figure out where it all goes and how to wire it up. It has 82,xxx miles on the odometer. I think it will be good for what I need. I plan on replacing some gaskets and such on it and trying to stop some leaks. After a closer inspection in the engine compartment, seems like there was a new starter put on it. Need to look up the part # to see if it is still 24v or not. Also you can still see the hydroboost brakes on it.
    Behing it is still the 400 and 208 with the driveshafts on it.

I have a busy few weeks getting all of this stuff out and stored until it comes time for it in the rotation of installation.

Again a big thanks to CBBR and I apologize for being a little late. Traffic and the wife wanting to stop and eat Jack in the Crack........

17. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

At least you have weeks:D

18. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

So, now you actually have two trucks? :doah: :haha:

Nice score..................that CBBR is a star! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Git bak ta wok, Steve!!!

:p:

:haha:

19. clarkjw24

Nice! It seems to all be coming together. Don't get too involved in that stuff, rest up for a fun filled weekend at Tellico.:wink1:

I've talked to CBBR once on the phone after Katrina hit, seemed like a really nice guy. Made me proud to live in the southeast.:thumb:

20. CB77GMC

CB77GMC 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hmmm... Any updates or new pics? :D