Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

barometric pressure circuit?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by geckojack, Nov 12, 2000.

1. geckojack

geckojack Registered Member

Got an '87 Blazer with TBI, the error light comes on on long trips and reads that "the barometric pressure circuit voltage is low." It's not the MAP (it has it's own error code), but the auto guys I've talked to don't know. Rather fix it myself than shell out bucks to a shop (starving student, ya know...).
    Also... ever since getting a set of 33in tires, I've been wanting a little more stopping power. Any inexpensive ideas?

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Hey I know how you feel being a starving student myself. I havent had the problem withthe barometric thing, yet. When my buddy gets back from the game this week I will run it by him. Have you tried using premium brake pads in your truck? If I am not mistaken Rancho carries a line of premium pads. I went with the premium set from Pep Girls. It was cheaper but it really did help and they are lifetime warranted. The only real way to kill the breaking distance is to get a TSM disk kit for your rear.

"Lord have mercy on my next thirty years"

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

I replaced the front rotors, new semi metallic pads , then replaced the rear drums and shoes. I added the 33's and it stops great. Best braking vehicle I have ever had. Now I did have Goodyear Wranglers on it and it slid all over the place.I put on a set of Wild Country 33-1250R-15 and it stops on a dime. But gets a bit wicked when going through puddles, it wants to hydroplane a bit. A tradeoff I assume...

4. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

5. geckojack

geckojack Registered Member

I did some more research and found that you're right, no baro sensor. It turns out it's the EGR system.... much more complicated...
    Its error code 32.
    What I know so far is that the engine performs a test on the EGR valve when the engine is in a certain RPM and vacuum range, and the vehicle speed is above 50mph. It's failing that test and that's why the light comes on only on long trips.
    Do you have any idea if this is going to seriously affect my emissions test?