Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

base timing setting 5.7l

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1badv10, Mar 8, 2004.

1. 1badv10

1badv10 Registered Member

my truck has had an engine change from 5.0-5.7, the base timing setting for the 305 is 0 degrees (i think).. is this the same for a TBI 350? I put a performance CPU chip in and im getting detonation at WOT w/ 93 octane and a 160 thermostat, so i just wanted to verify the base timing before i yank the chip out.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif thanks...

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i know on carbed it is 4 for 305 and 6 for 350 /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif i would adjust the timing till it goes away

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Base for my '91 TBI 5.7 is 0* also. Might your compression be higher than stock? Is your knock sensor working (can you scan it and tell)?

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Base for my '91 TBI 5.7 is 0* also. Might your compression be higher than stock? Is your knock sensor working (can you scan it and tell)?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ditto that info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I would look into making sure the knock sensor is ok. It shouldn't knock. The computer should retard the timing as soon as it detects pings.

Harley

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Did you make sure you disconnected the tan (EST) wire before setting base timing?

7. 1badv10

1badv10 Registered Member

thanks guys 0 degrees it is.. checked the timing this morning its set to 5-6.. really wish i could find my damn distributor wrench /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif . but being advanced plus the cpu chip is advancing it more.... im going to put the 5.7 knock sensor, and a heated o2 sensor in this week, it may run as good as it did before i started f#@king w/ the performance mods /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif again thanks guys