Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Baseball card collectors...need input

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big pappa b, Jul 12, 2005.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

My sisters boyfriend died a few months back and he had a huge collection of cards. Most of them were baseball but some basketball and hockey. Well, my sister just passed away last weekend so I inherited the card. He had a year 2000 baseball collectors book so I can look up some values. Ican't say exactly how many there were but I weighed them all....50LBS :eek1:
    He had boxes, entire 87,88, 90 season of Topps collector cards plus many others that were in individual platic protectors.
    Where the heck do I start with this stuff? I've never collected cards. Most likely they will sit in a plastic tote. I don't really want to start collecting cards to add to the mess

2. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

get yourself a good book or two and start looking at what you have. Some of the cards will be worth some money if you wanted to sell them. Or maybe you could give them to a younger family member if you have any.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

First, my condolences on your loss.

Regarding the subject at hand, I've seen "lots" on ebay from similar situations to yours.
    Do you want to keep them, or sell them? If you want to sell them, I'd check out "collectors" in the phone book, and see if you can get a few free appraisals. If nothing else, those places will probably have a blue-book type value guide. The books get expensive, though.

The ones in the plastic are most likely what he deemed valuable or worth more than the others. I'd research those cards first.

I have a couple boxes of cards, a few years later I think, and the few I looked up weren't worth very much. I *think* there were some valuable rookie cards from those years, though.

Good luck with them!

4. oldassjeep

oldassjeep Registered Member

Sorry for your loss.

The cards in the individual protectors are probably the ones I would focus on in the beginning. Unfortuatley the cards from the era your talking about usually do not garnish "big" bucks. There may be one or two $20-30 cards in there but nothing to consider bank.

You can go to www.beckett.com and get a membership. From ther you could buy a 1 month subscription to the online price guide. Porbably the fastest and most up to date pricing out there. There are several yearly and monthly publications that price out cards, but Beckett is the industry leader.

Ebay is another good resource. Pricing on ebay is generally clse to Beckett book pricing on the desirable cards (stars, future HOF'rs, quality rookie cards etc) PM me if you got specific questons particualr cards and I'll try and help you out.

Just a word or warning. If you take the enire lot to a card store/collector. You will probably be given a low lump sells price. The collector is looking to buy all cards at a flat price. He them gleens the good cars from the junk and sells them, the junk or commons cards go to the back till he finds a colletor looking to complete a set. Sometimes the commoms are resold on bulk to recoop the mony he spent and the profit is in the 10-15 star cards he sells individually.

I maintain a collection of about 10-12000 cards. Mostly team and individual player cards. A few years back I progressed to Autographed cards and since I bought the K5 I haven't bought any. I estimate my cards to be in the $8-8500 range if I was to bulk sell. But I have only a few commons. Lots of rookies and rare cards. If I took the time to ebay 'em I could prolly get closer to $10,000. But it would be alot of extra work scanning- posting the auctions.

Good luck.

5. big4x4ride

big4x4ride 1/2 ton status

there is a possibiltity of a few damn good cards in there from that era, couple of nice rookie cards fromt hose years. But the majority of them will be penny cards, not worth more that .15 or .20 prolly