Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Basement caved in!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 75-K5, Mar 22, 2005.

1. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Well, not completely, but I was handing bags of salt to my Dad and all of a sudden he says "HOLY S$&#!, come down here!" We've put a floor joist in there but still aren't sure how to reconstruct the whole thing. The concrete is probably 100 years old or so. Luckily the basement only covers a very small portion of the house, it was dug after the house was built but they put the concrete up for support. The last pics of the floor sagging were taken after Dad cranked the joist up about 2 inches. When he started I could see through to him in the basement. The pole you see in the first few pics is not the new joist, it's an old support pole from when we remodeled about 5 years ago.

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Holly crap! Thats going to be a major PITA to repair!

3. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

Looks like a good place for a walk out door to me!

that is horrible, but I am glad everyone is okay!

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Haha, if we put a walk out door there the only thing you'd be walking into is clay.:p:

5. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Will home owners Insurance help you out with that?
    What do you think caused that? old age or?

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I don't know about the insurance deal. I took pics just in case though before we cleaned up the mess and got the floor back to where it's supposed to be. The cause is definitely just age and the fact that there's always 2" or more of standing water down there. The sump pump comes on at least 3 times a day and runs almost constantly when it's raining. All that ambient moisture just finally took its toll on the concrete.

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

wow,that sucks man.the basement was dug after the house was there???:thinking:

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Yep, the house was originally built in 1875 or so, so there was no plumbing, heat, etc. to deal with so no need for a basement. There's no way to tell for sure, but it was probably dug sometime between the late teens and mid 20's. Whoever did it did a really piss poor job that's for sure.

9. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

You have black moulding, that's so coooooool

10. boggerless

i just think its crazy to dig a basement after a house is built. i need a basement and thats why i ask. i have a crawl space.:(

11. boggerless

better than black mold.:laugh:

12. mudhound72

mudhound72 1/2 ton status

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'd say get a pro to fix that. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole if I were you. CAn be dangerous, and if its done wrong inspector can stamp it bad and you are screwed on resale or just the project.

14. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Ditto.

15. dwoods

dwoods 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Wow thats bad. What will need to be done is get floor jacks to support that section (you may need a large bottle jack to raise the house back in square then put the floor jacks in. Then excavate that part of the wall to the footer atleast a couple of feet past that collapsed part ( however, with the basement being dug out after the house was built it might not have one and the stone were just laid up on bed rock). If you dont have a footer pour one and then lay concrete block ( you may need to square up the wall that collapsed) Then use cement that has fiberglass in it (the best that I have used is comproco foundation coat but not sure what you can find where your at. Quickwall is made by quickcrete and might be easier to find) and trowel it on both sides of the wall where you can. Also it would not hurt to use it on the inside walls of your whole basement. Finally when you back fill don't use that clay. Backfill with limestone or shale for drainage.

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Insurence, couple cans of gas, book of matches, trip to the movies. :thinking:

17. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

What "dwoods" said and good luck looks like a ton of work. Ever thought about an addition cause to do it right your going to have to dig most of the outside away anyway
    Edit-It looks like from the pics that the foundation from the house is the rocks laid right on the dirt. They way your basement comes in below that, is where it was dug so as to not disturb the original rocks. If that is the case I'm not sure that it fixable from the outside, short of picking up the whole house and starting over with a new basement. You could just cement it all back in and not worry about it. If you do have that much water in it you have to get the water to stop coming in and that looks like it might be impossible if the original foundation is just rocks.

18. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

my friend had almost the same problem and thay had to jack the house up . then dig all out and rebuild the walls and set the house back down. and if you want more room and or new door or windows in there now is the time. lots of luck buddy

19. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Walked through a house up in Utah that was so bad that you could see from the doorway across the kitchen floor some twelve feet and see the six some odd inches of "droop." They ended up havin to do what was said earlier and jack up that side of this bed and breakfast (was originally a 10 bedroom house) and excavate a ways down to get to bedrock and fill from there. :(

Not cheap.

20. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

We're definitely having a professional fix it, we just stuck the floor jack in there to keep the kitchen from falling through for the time being. There is no foundation to speak of, it's just a small piece of concrete sitting on hard clay. The house itself is many times bigger than the basement, it's only beneath the kitchen and the "mud room." And it's a no go on the addition because we've already added on to the house 5 times at least. I don't imagine it's going to cost as much as some other houses to fix since like I said the basement was an afterthought and most of the house is just sitting on the ground basically. The concrete walls were poured to replace the support that was lost when the basement was dug. It's kind of hard to describe what the basement is like; I've never seen another one like it. It's probably an estimated 25x30 ft. square (the whole house is approx. 120x75 but it's not square because of the additions). It's accessed by a trap door in the back room floor by the outside door. I'm just glad it's my Dad's problem not mine. Although it's only going to get worse as it gets older and by the time it's my house it will be over 150 years old. :yikes: