Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Basement flooded: Calling all Plumbers

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Dec 21, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

The basement in our rental house is flooded. Theres no visible pipe or anything where the water has come from.

There are "particles and pieces" that have floated out that are substances which would have passed through a toilet including paper; yet no visible way that they could have gotten to where they are now in whole form.

The drain in the basement floor isn't draining, and the grate wouldn't allow the larger floating "items" to have surfaced from below. Not being a plumber or having dealt with floods before, I am at a loss at what to do next.

2. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

yuk

did you try having someone flush a toilet and look to see if you can find the break

3. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Call the landlord

4. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

BANG BANG BANG!!!! Um hello? Whos this? Um...... this is your sewer backed up,and not draining. Oh, i remember you now!!! :) Step one.#1 If you have acsess to a main clean out , for the main sewer, pop off the cap, if it is clogged, call a plumber out to run a snake(around 100.00) or go rent a snake,and snake it out. But if you are on a septic tank, make sure to not get it tangled up in the primary side of the tank(otherwise youll be digging up the primary lid)
    #2 If you are in a rural area, and know you are on a septic tank,call out a septic pumping company, and have them pump out BOTH sides of the tanks, Both primary and secondary. If you think they are getting full.
    #3 Somtimes people have sewage ejection pumps, they pump the poo, upwards, to a point on the line where it can then have downward grade on the line, tio make it to the public sewer. (they are used when unadeqete grade is present, at time of constuction) ...if you have one of these, check to see if the motor is working, or float is stuck.If it is bad, replace it.
    #4 Chances are, the sewer is clogged, and it just needs a snaking. The rookie way, , if you cant find a main sewer clean out, is to remove the tiolet, and then run a snake down the flange, it always leads to the sewer. Messy on the walls, :) but does the job.

Let me know, jacob

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Jacob to the rescue.!!!! Bwahahaha!!!!

6. mountainexplorer

We are the landlords. :(

7. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Hey, if you have more questions, feel free to shoot a pm. Later

8. mountainexplorer

Thanks for the options. The only toilet is upstairs in the house. In the laundry room downstairs, under the stairway, are some of the pipes. There is that one main cleanout cap that I see can be unscrewed. I'm kind of not wanting to unscrew it and make more of a mess. Would it gush out more if uncapped?

I assume then that once the entire system is unclogged, then the open floor drain will drain water again, too.

9. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Yep, it will spew everywhere, but, that is where you need to go to unclog it.I would just get it done. It takes about 20 minutes if you have a clean out like thatand a snake. What i do , is just unscrew it , and just book it, that way you done get covered in your own poo. Or, just call around, tell everyone, you have 100 bucks, and just thats all yopu have, if they want to pop it open, feel free to come and do it. Someone will do it. For 100.00

10. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Oh, and yes the other drain will drain as well, when you clear it .

11. mountainexplorer

Well, I don't have a snake. I'd do it to save $100, but I can't guarantee I'd do a very good or proper and lasting job unclogging it with what I have. All I have are truck parts... but maybe I could create something.

12. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

http://threestooges.net/real_id/46.ram to feel better, you have to watch this first. :) ....no, dude, just call the local little guy. Its a 100.00 bucks profit to them. Otherwise, you can buy a blowbag, (to open drains) it dosent do a good cleaning, but it will work. It uses water pressure. Its like 15.00 . Or you go to Home depot and rent , or a rental company has them , any tool rental should have one. I would just call a plumber. Whell , not me, because i am a plumber, but , just call one. And dont let them bs you into running camera equipment, or replacing the line, that could easily get in the area of around 3500.00 to 6500.00 depending. Be careful out there, and dont sign anything......good luck , Jacob

13. mountainexplorer

Thanks again for your help. I went and looked at the situation again, then came home and called a real plumber. They were all about the same price to snake out the drain, so I called a guy who own his own business that used to live next door to a friend. It's going to be around $75-$100 at 9:00 am tomorrow.

14. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

glad to help. Its not that bad 100.00 bucks . Just dont buy anything else from him, (like a new pipe, etc) or root killer. Just keep snaking it out, until the end of time if you have to. New pipes are bankroll. Snake it until your 65 yrs old if you have to. Some people hire me to replace lines, just because its an incinvienence to keep snaking, but , it will get you by, Truck to truck, later, happy hollidays, jacob