Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Basic hub rebuild write-up - anyone interested?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Mar 7, 2002.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Thanks to my recent playing in DEEP mud, I am now in the need of a good front hub rebuild. You know, pull apart the hubs and clean them, remove the calipers, pull the rotors, clean the bearings, reassemble the whole kit and caboodle. Sometimes we can take for granted how to do some of the basic maintenance on our rigs that newbies may not know. Would anyone be interested in me doing a write-up on such basic rig maintenance?

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I would.......

I need to assemble a D44 from scratch, and would appreciate seeing all the parts layed out, and the tips for how it all goes back together. Sometimes the shop manuals don't accurately reflect "real life"......so I'll take whatever you are willing to provide.

What would be great too, is a complete list of the tools (especially the one's unique to axle work, like the hub socket) that are used.....I hate starting a job only to find out I can't finish bacause I am missing some required tools (or parts!) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

Big time helpful. Thanks for the offer. I need to do just that on a Dana 44 front set-up.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

i took a bunch of photos when i was thinking on doing that write up, it is a 60 though but it is the same IIRC

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/26662279MNKYdSeigu>http://community.webshots.com/album/26662279MNKYdSeigu</a>

not sure if the images are in perfect sequence (edit some are out of order) but i tried to do only one step per image no matter how small.
    of course this is hard working alone to keep the grease on the digi camera to a minimum.
    i think this is the older style snap ring not the newer spiro loks for retaining the lock out body to the hub

5. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    I would like to see an article on hub rebuilding. Living in Michigan I do alot of mud, and some basic maintenance that is required when you run mud I don't know about or don't know how to do. I, personally, would like to see an article that shows you common problems caused by mud and the maintenance involved to keep the parts from breaking

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Man, that would be nice...a bunch of photos and a write up describing removing and cleaning and assembling the front end down to the spindles.... I was so frustrated when I hed to do it for the first time... the Haynes manual doesn't tell you ANYTHING other than it needs to be removed...it took a lot of beer and cussing my first time around....

Chris

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

for a really good article it would be best to use a stock axle that requires serious violence to get the spindle off.
    some action shots of the 4lb hammer and block of wood bash fest.
    anyone close to me wanna do their front ujoints?
    come on over, i have the tools and camera

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

That is why I am rebuilding mine. Mud gets in and can be very damaging to bearings. I also grenaded one of my Warn Premium manual hubs playing in the mud this past weekend. I need to make sure I got all the metal out when I did the trail repair. Mine is a front 10-bolt. I will see what I can come up with.

I will also be removing the rear drums to check for trapped mud and so forth in there. Finally I will be cleaning and regreasing all the greaseable joints. These are all places that mud and grit can be VERY damaging. I will doa write-up and see what I can come up with.

9. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I'm not planning to go as far as removing the spindle and pulling the shafts. I am just planning on going as far as the hub and rotor assembly down to the hub bearing that float on the spindle. I do agree that getting that spindle off can be quite an adventure. First time I did it, one side came off with just a few pops, the other side took damn near half an hour!

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

thats why my axle wouldnt do a good article.
    mine is coated in anti sieze compound and comes apart with a few taps with a soft mallet
    here are more images that take the 60 knuckles right off/on
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/26127166SwclRTBvgY>http://community.webshots.com/album/26127166SwclRTBvgY</a>

11. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

it would also be awseome for the Tech library that has been brought up.

12. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Yes I would.

13. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Sweet, information like that is why I come here. Whenever I can't stumble my way through something, I know that someone here has managed to. Post it when you get it all put together, and thanks alot.

14. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

Yes. It's on my list of things to do

15. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like a good thing. My buddy just bought an 85 1 ton dually. Besides the bar on the shift rails (NP205) being rusted to the point of not swivelling (always in 4hi, 4lo, or N, therefore no 2wd) the previous owner repacked the wheel bearings and when replacing the hubs put the clutch ring in first and then the spring. This caused the hubs to always stay locked regardless of the dial position, and with the t-case only having 4WD when in gear made for some fun driving it home on the asphalt. Both problems have been corrected, but it shows the need for some basic tech articles. Not saying anybody is ignorant, because if you haven't been shown how to do it, it can sometimes be hard. Plus it shows people what needs to be done and they can decide if they want to tackle it or bring it to a garage.

16. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

when you write it you can see if you can use my 60 images beside your 44/10b images to make it pictoral for both styles

17. johnnyK5

johnnyK5 Registered Member

I'm interested.

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

tx85, dude, that'd be awesome. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I am one of those guys that 1 yr ago I had 4x4 shops do EVERY install and I am trying to do more and more of my own stuff (i think they have enought of my hard-earned $$$$$ already!). I have never done anything with my axles, short of changing gear oil, so a basic rub rebuild faq with pictures would be great. Maybe SF could post it on the tech section or something when ya finish it?

happy wheelin',

J

19. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

IMHO, there can NEVER, EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER, be too much tech on a 4x4 board... If some one decided to do a write up on how to instal a radio that is great! Installing a light bar? do a write up! New shock mounts? Pics and story! Changing your underwear? Don't send me the pics/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

There is always some one that can benifit from just about any write up. I say do it! plus, i need to rebuild my hubs too/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

JMHO...

20. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

I'm a newbie at doing work on my K5 and I love doing when I know how! I would really appreciate that tool list that was mentioned earlier.
    Thanks,
    Chris