Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Basics of WinALDL

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by grindkings, Jul 15, 2005.

1. grindkings

grindkings 1/2 ton status

Can someone explain WinALDL to me, where to get it and how to make a cable?

2. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

www.winaldl.webhop.net

Everything you need to know about the program and how to make the interface cable. :thumb:

3. grindkings

Has anyone found this to be a lifesaver for perforance TBI motors?

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I just started playing with it on my "perforance TBI" 2.8L v6 in my s10 :haha: . About all I can tell just by looking at it the little I have is that it is running a bit rich. I need to pull off the exhaust and put in my Wide-Band O2 sensor...but it is too hot right now and I am lazy.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

It worked enough in my application (close enough for your question) to tell me that my unheated O2 sensor is not up to the task, which is contrary to what I thought before hooking my laptop up to the ECM via winALDL.

6. grindkings

What are the differneces in the modes? And which one do I want to use in "changing" things for my new motor?

7. FWP

FWP CRS

You can't change anything. WinALDL is a troubleshooting/ monitoring tool. Best advice is to spend many hours on Thirdgen.org and other sites to understand things.

8. grindkings

Okay?...Then how do i get my motor to "get along" with the ECM? And change fuel curves.

9. grindkings

This program appears to be confusing. I see that you can change the TPS. What will that do? I have a Holley TBI, can some just TELL ME WHAT TO DO.

10. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You cannot actually change anything with WinALDL, you need to buy a chip burning tool if you wanna make modifications. The TPS is adjusted by physically adjusting the sensor itself :) WinALDL is for watching, and trouble shooting problems, not for actually editing the prom :)

11. dyeager535

Go download tunerpro RT, and start playing with that. THAT is the software used to make changes to a PROM. Not the only one, but it's free.

winALDL is what you use to see how your engine is acting. What the MAP is showing, where your TPS is, O2 sensor voltage, BLM's, INT, etc.

As was mentioned, once you get data from your ECM via winALDL, spend time over on thirdgen understanding what all the different fields mean. Once you understand what indicates rich/lean, knock, etc., you'll start to see what each piece of data you see in winALDL is telling you about how the engine is running, and what the ECM is having to do to keep it where it wants to be, if it even can.

12. grindkings

What am i looking for at thirdgen.? I've spent some time over there and can't find anything, just about firebirds. Am i missing it?

13. dyeager535

Ignore what the vehicle is. Go to the DIY PROM forum, read the stickies, perhaps search for threads regarding the 1227747 ECM, which is what will be in your truck. I suspect the cars used the same for a few years of TBI.

Might also check the TBI forum, but that is more likely about performance stuff, not understanding how to modify the PROM.

Only physical difference in the F-body TBI and yours that I can recall is going to be that the cars used a manifold air temp sensor (MAT) and trucks didn't. Oh, and EGR is apparently not controlled with a solenoid in the trucks.

Here's just one link to a sticky about burning your own PROM's, etc. Tuning/performance stuff for injected setups.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2005