Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bass Blockers advice needed.

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Z3PR, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Okay, with these speakers, what bass blockers should I use. I've seen some 100 hz and 300 hz bass blockers. I know practicly nothing about this stuff, so I'm asking advice from you guys that do know about this stuff.

2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Why do you need bass blockers?? 4x6 speakers shouldn't even find themselves in the 100-300Hz range... Thats what MidRange and SubWoofers are for. You are buying full range speakers, you shouldn't have to worry about them hitting those low frequencies unless you wire them up to the midrange channel. If you want to do it right, just recut your speaker holes for 6 or 6.5 inch speakers, get a high quality amp, and a single 10 or 12 inch subwoofer.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Can't cut the doors in this car. Everything must look factory. Car is 2000 Oldsmobils Alero GLS coupe (2-door). Want bass blocker too keep the lower range out of these speakers just so they'll last long. (I do like it loud) Will hook up a pair of 12" Kicker L7's in a slot port box sometime in the next couple of months.

4. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Put 200-300's on the 4x6's. 100's are for 5.25" and 6.5" speakers. Without a decent air tight enclosure for the 4x6 the bass will fry the voice coil. Cap em off and leave the bass to the 12".

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Talked to my car stereo shop and they recomend a amp with a hi pass crossover and forget the bass blockers. Probley do that. Just have too suffer with the factory speakers till I can afford those JBL speaker and Orion 8004 amp to power them.

6. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Just make sure the amp has an adjustable or variable high pass x-over in it. I haven't played with orion amps in about ten years, so I can't answer that for you. You should not need more than 30-40 watts rms amp power for those speakers, so make sure they do not over sell ya.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It's a 4 channel amp and rear speaker are rated at 100 watts rms. I figure I can turn down gain for front speakers. Yes, it has variable high pass x-over. I'm a thrifty bastard, I'll watch ebay for this amp for 6 months or better. If one doesn't come along cheap enough, then I'll buy wholesale.

8. AudioMaster

AudioMaster Registered Member

For as cheap as they are bass blockers would be fine for now. Save you from blowing the front speakers. An amp with a built in HP filter is the way to go.