Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Bass Remote Control

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Muddytazz, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Can a Bass Remote Control be installed with any amp to control the bass from of the subs from the drivers seat?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Found my own answer, the amp has to be remote capable for it to be used.

3. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

not 100% true, I have put a control/gain know in line with the rca's before. You can find them at radio shack

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

some crossovers/equalizers have built in remote gains. my MTX crossover does.

5. Spkrman

Spkrman Registered Member

to answer a Q that may come up...

bass control knobs are not interchangeable.. for example - you cant take a kicker bass knob and plug it into an MTX amp.

The wires may not control the same things, and you could fry something.

to say it won't ever work wouldn't be entirely true... most every bass knob is hooked up with phone cord, and I'd find it hard to believe everyone is doing something different.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Yep....these days it's typically a function of the amp, and usually an optional knob/cord to plug into the jack on the amp.

In the old days one of my favorite equipment companies (a/d/s) put that capability in their equipment, though they did it via the crossover. Once the bass frequencies had already been split off, the knob was then use to control the amount of voltage travelling out on those RCAs.....It made it amplifier independent.

I suppose there are other companies that did it the same way, so if you wanted that feature bad enough, you could try to locate the a/d/s 642CSi (or 642ix)crossover and AC-501 bass control knob on eBay.... and wire them in????

This is the setup I have for "The System" that is now in boxes, but will someday be re-installed in the '72. It's the one in my photo gallery.