Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BASSic question

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Z3PR, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm planning ahead for this comming spring/summer. What would y'all think of a pair of either 15's or 12's TREO Engineering SSX subs powered by a MMATS D300hc. Think that would be enough bass for a K5 ???

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Never even heard of those products. I wouldn't go with 15's unless R&B and rap crap is the only thing you listen to.

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

both high end brands. And yes and more then enough.. although i dissagree with what you want to do, I believe you would put 6-8 15's in there if you had the funds /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

So ya wanting to bump it ole school? Werd /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Never even heard of those products. I wouldn't go with 15's unless R&B and rap crap is the only thing you listen to.

[/ QUOTE ]Don't do Rap/R@B , and most deffently don't do country. I liston to alot of Alturnitive, Metal, ...ect.

6. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

15s.suck.go.with.the.12's

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Probly will go with 12's. Just bought a MMATS D200hc amp. It does 600 watts at 2 OHM's and 1200 watts RMS at 1 OHM. Was going to get the D300hc, but got a much better deal on the D200hc. ( Those are RMS watts, not peak watts.) Reviews

8. ilikeitloud

ilikeitloud 1/2 ton status

ok id go 15s. i wanna know why 15s suck by the way???

9. ilikeitloud

ilikeitloud 1/2 ton status

actually those mmats amps put out more then rated power around 1700w

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yeah, I know, but I was being conservitive. Now I'm thinking (3) 12" TREO SSX subs in a custom built slot port box.

11. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

in my old car i was runnin 2 Digital Design 9515's with 2 Cadence A7HC amps with a 260amp alternator and that's what i used for competing.. by the sounds of the brans of amps and the subs you want you want some clear, loud bass.. if i were you i'd go with 2 15's in a vented box tuned at about 45hz for the low rumble you want and when you listen to your normal music assuming it's alternative and metal/rock that's usually tight bass so you want to plug the port so you get better, clearer, faster sounding bass.. i'd say 15's but since you bought your amp already i'd stick with 2 TREO 12's(assuming their 2OHM SVC's) and run them bridged at 1ohm giving about 600rms to each sub which would be sufficent, but if you go with a ported box make sure you have a subsonic filter on the amp so you don't blow the subs.. in my opinion 3 12's being givin 400rms at 1ohm isn't enuf and there's no easy way to run 3 of them them at 1ohm if they are 2ohm svc's..

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I want to run these subs . Maybe I'll only run 2 of them. [​IMG]

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    both high end brands. And yes and more then enough.. although i dissagree with what you want to do, I believe you would put 6-8 15's in there if you had the funds /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah, funds are tight, but I also don't think there is enough room for 6 to 8 subs. I'm thinking either 2 or posibaly 3 subs depending on if I can get the OHMs correct.

14. emoo99

emoo99 1/2 ton status

Yea i know about the treo's, their really nice subs.. had to check on the impedence they are 2ohm DVC's so you could even run your amp off of 1 15 and bridge it to get 1200rms at 1OHM. I mean it's all up to you to run 1,2, or 3 12's or 1 15 cuz it's your system.. just make sure you put enuf power to the sub to get it to flex /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif not flex like your truck but flex like excursion or X-Max flex back and forth.. another thing with that amp you'll prolly run 4ga or even 0ga to the amp for power and ground, and even though it's a class D amp(i think), that draws less current i'm willing to bet your lights will be dimming if you have a stock alternator so you probably won't have enuf juice to pull the full 1200 watts to power your amp, your max will prolly be around 700-900 unless you hookup dual batteries or run about a 2 farad cap to it.. 8 subs is alot, i mean if you think about it for it to sound good for each sub you want about a 3-4 cu ft. box for a 12 and a 5-8 cu ft box for a 15.. to match the resonant frequency of your truck, that is if you are plannin to run in competitions and draw the highest SPL you can,, 8 subs you would will up the whole rear of your truck with the backseats out, prolly need another 2in lift from all the weight, loose about 3mi to the gallon, and need about 7 more amps and 5 or 6 more batteries /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i was going to put a system in my truck but figured it was to easy to break into and rather spend the money on axles, tires, and lift.. hopefully i'll have it all done by january.

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I hear ya. I'm more then likely just going to go with a pair of 12" SSX TREO's. That should keep me happy for the trail bumps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Your pushing it with 12's in a K5 to begin with, there isn't enough room given the wave length on those much less 15's.

I have two 12's in my Burb and that is more than enough, anything else just leads to distortion and the "look at what I have for some junkie to steal" syndrome.

More power to you but if your going after quality sound a single 12 or twin 10's would be much better in a rig that size.

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Your pushing it with 12's in a K5 to begin with, there isn't enough room given the wave length on those much less 15's.

I have two 12's in my Burb and that is more than enough, anything else just leads to distortion and the "look at what I have for some junkie to steal" syndrome.

More power to you but if your going after quality sound a single 12 or twin 10's would be much better in a rig that size.

[/ QUOTE ] Not too worried about someone trying too steal it, I live out in the sticks, and have some cool niebors that keep a eye on everything for each other, plus a good alarm go's along ways. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Z
    I cant vouch for your choice in components, cause I havent heard them in action. If you want to run the amp at 1ohm load then bridge it according to directions. In order to run your speakers at 1ohm, run them in parallel. i.e. speaker A and speaker B, run positive from A to positve on B and negative from A to negative on B. Run your amp outputs to Speaker A only. You will then be running your amp and speakers at 1ohm. Thats assuming they are 2ohm SVC's

19. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, my BS-Meter pegged into the red on this one..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Care to explain how the wavelength of a particular frequency changes based on the diameter of the speaker playing it???

I will give bonus points if you can tell me the wavelength of a 20Hz note....(Hint, it won't fit inside ANY vehicle) /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Paul,

I've told you this 1,000,000 times already but it's worth repeating....Those subs only lay the foundation for the rest of the music (the bottom 2 octaves out of 10 octaves total). What you do with the other eight speaker-wise will be just as important in making "believable" sound.

20. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I will give bonus points if you can tell me the wavelength of a 20Hz note....(Hint, it won't fit inside ANY vehicle)

[/ QUOTE ]

If I put the decimal in the right spot, about 14,990,000 meters or around 49,180,000 feet. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Where's my prize /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif