Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

batt shelf ripped off!!! *****PICS ADDED*****

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by darkshadow, Jul 11, 2004.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

was just driveing home , and my truck started messing up, check moter soon light and the seet belt lights were flickering, the seat belt buzzer was going off, and started to smell something burning /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

killed the truck and pulled over, and the batt shelf ripped right off the fender!!!! wel the positive was burned through and was a little hot i ratchhit straped it in place, and was able to drive home (only a block)

semed ok, but i just noticed a ground strap has totaly burned away, it at the back of the passernger side on the fire wall going????? iam trying to up load pics but my computer is pissing me off.

would this have damaged anything, and can i drive to work tomorrow or dose this really need atention now?

ok got pics here is my now resecured shelf you can see the wire all burned to the right.
    [​IMG]

and heres where the strap was, where dose this go?
    [​IMG]

would this have messed up my computer or anything??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Re: batt shelf ripped off!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Thats no good. If there is any bare wire don't use it.

3. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

bump /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

hahaha that same thing just happend to me, i needed to put a new fender and inner fender any way

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The big firewall ground bolts to the back of the head or the intake...either will do. Most parts stores carry a variety of those.

I'd replace the burnt wire, and as for the computer only time will tell. Keep an eye on the alt too...it could also be fried because of this.

Rene

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

That is weird, I was at bigyellowjimmy's today and he showed me his damage from the same thing. Deja Vu /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

well i just got home from work so no fixy tonight!

i am gunna up grade the started feed anyway, and put a bigger ground in as i check all of them
    and its a new high output alt so it shpould be ok.( got it rebult to 145amp for 200 bucks less thena new one and it was done over night!!)

i am a little worried about the ground messing up my gauges, when i shut the truck off the temp gauge maxes out. it desplays as normal when on so..

once i saw a bud hook up his batt in reverse and a wire was shooting out smoke, would my prob burn anything elce out? a fuseable link, or breaker??? i got the truck off farly fast /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Everytime I read "batt shelf ripped off" I have to think is this the shelf that batman puts his utility belt on. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    OK, sorry back on topic again.