Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Batteries

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Gopherkiller, Feb 28, 2001.

1. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Hi guys, Got 3 chevy diesels here. And I'm sick of buying batteries. I have been going for these 4x4 heavy duty, high cranking amp, jobs. They are all CRAP! Has anyone heard anything good about those red top optimod batteries? Where is a good place to get them, I'll replace all 6 of them!

2. achuskies69

achuskies69 1/2 ton status

<font color=green> Go for the Optimas, they are the best choice for heavy duty applications and off road use. You might be able to get them from your local AutoZone or Carquest store, or you can order them from 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers.

<font color=green> I love cowboy hats
    [​IMG]

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I've only had my Optima for couple of months but it has done great so far. I got mine from Batteries Plus

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Leftover nuts never match leftover bolts." [​IMG]

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Well if you are going high cranking amps there is your problem. You only really need one high crank and then run a deep cycle as your second battery. Batteries are kinda like engines... in engines you can't have tons of torque down low and tons of hp up high... so you need to decide on one or compromise both. Batteries are the same... the higher the cranking amps... the less overall power the battery can hold so the more it is decharged all the time... thus it wears out faster. I'd also make sure the batteries are wired correctly. Many times the second battery will not keep up w/ the first on charging so it pukes after no time at all. I have heard good and bad about those batteries.... they're spendy though

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I like my redtop alot. I got mine from a local car stereo shop. I think www.summitracing.com has some OK prices on them too.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

DO not Irepeat run one cranking and one deep cycle they will destroy each other if the cranking batery goes dead the deep cycle will try to put out cranking amps only to cause the cells to short across and collapse or it will blow up ,try jump starting a large truck with one it will live a short life after that ,run the largest cranking amps you can also where do you buy your batterys?arent they warrenteed ?most are 2yr free replacement .

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

7. northgate

northgate Registered Member

Check out the new AC Delco professional platinum series battery. They are expensive ($150 +/-) but they are the best you can get. It is a new design called Absorbent Glass Mat. They can be mounted in any position (upside down, sideways, etc) like the optima, but can be purchased in different sizes (optima is one size fits all). They have a seven year warranty with the first three free replacement. They've already tested them against the orbitals and they rate better. Go to AC Delco's website for more info.

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Are you running any type of Isolator or anything? You might want to check out http://www.hellroaring.com/4wheel.htm . I also agree that the Hi cranking amps is not the way to go. Get just what was ment for your truck and it will last longer (thicker grids make it more durable and have a higher amp hour rating). As far as Optima bat's they kinda have the best of both worlds (high amp hour rating and high cca). I have a Excide Orbital (same type as Optima) myself and it has run great. I haden't herd of the new Delco I'll have to check it out as my next Bat (they make REALLY GOOD STUFF).

9. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

We have about 15 diesel blazers, not to mention 40 trucks (read trucks, semi-trucks, NOT pick-up trucks), and 60plus other rigs and the ones with optimas ALWAYS start! I personally have bought mine from Interstate

Displacement, cubes, and did you say you drive a riceburner???

10. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I 've had two "red" tops in my truck for the last three months, and they have been a great improvement, over the old no names that were in the truck when i bought it. I have had no problems cranking over when the temp. has been in the single digits even tthough the truck has not been plugged in. i have an account at at batteries plus for and paid $110 each. The are champion labeled but marked optima on the case. they have a 36/ 80 warrenty on them.

11. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Hi Guys, Tnx for the great replys! I have bought all 6 of my champiain 4x4 1050 cold cranking amp batteries from Sam's Club. No more. I think that they buy seconds. These bats run in parralal(sp) and NEVER had problems till I started buying batteries from them. 5 out of 6 bad in 2 yrs, I should learn.

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

OPTIMA for life!!!
    I bought my first RedTop in 94 and that sucker is still crankin!! I have sence added the Hellroaring iso/combiner and another RedTop!!

I will NEVER buy any other battery.......
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

13. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

I have a DURALAST and have been happy with it for the past 2 years. I don't winch or anything but do run a pretty insane stereo off of it. It cost me 69 bucks and hasn't failed yet. I am thinking of running a deep cycle next to it using something like you all are talking about - is this a hard set up. which company makes the best dual setup. late

baja surf nazi -...A late storm NEVER comes...

[​IMG]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by bigblue on 03/01/01 10:08 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

14. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I know about those 1050's from Sam's. Never fails just as their 2 year free replacement is about to expire, the battery craps out. If it wasn't for the fact that I haven't had to spend much for a new one and have $60 invested in it, I would've bailed a long time ago. Probably will go to an Optima type. Also, damn tired of corrosion problems.

15. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

16. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I would run either:

Diehard
    Optima
    Turbo Start or
    Interstate.

Our big trucks usually used Diehard, Interstate or Turbo Start...

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

17. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Cool three months !
    Please compare apples to apples

18. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I sense sarcasm...So I guess that an apple to apple comparison would be, how do optima batteries compare to other optima batteries! And ya, any thing that prevents undo wear on engine components is pretty cool. i.e. less cranking in cold temperatures. The batteries that I replaced were only 7 months old.

19. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

20. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

hey burt,
    the hellroaring BIC looks sweet. It even looks simple to install. what does the remote look like? just a simple switch? Did you have any problems getting it set up. and do you run a deep cycle battery for backup? I think for my set up i would have to put the second battery on the drivers side . there is allot more room over there...

baja surf nazi -...A late storm NEVER comes...

[​IMG]