Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

batteries ?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by K10ANDYKHAMNIC, Oct 23, 2003.

1. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

what kind of batteries should i get for my cucv ? it is 12v
    will 2 red or blue top optimas be good ? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I picked up a pair of 1000 CCA AC delco's with dual posts. Works fine for me and they come with a really long warranty /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

3. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

i dont know of anywhere down here that sells AC D ....but the higher cca the better right ?
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. tRustyK5

Yeah, you want the highest CCA's you can get. Typically 1000 or so is about max for most batteries...unless you go to specialized stuff.

GM should sell AC Delco...should run ya about $11,000 after tax's. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, you want the highest CCA's you can get. Typically 1000 or so is about max for most batteries...unless you go to specialized stuff.

GM should sell AC Delco...should run ya about $11,000 after tax's. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I have seen higher than 1000CCA and they were not very expensive either, the were champions but they were regular wet acid, and for a fourwheeler I will never again use anything but gel acid.
    That is why I get the excide or optimas now.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. tRustyK5

I've heard a few people have longevity issues with the Optima's and Exides (same battery)

They're alos about twice the money here, and I just couldn't justify spending that much.

Rene

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've heard a few people have longevity issues with the Optima's and Exides (same battery)

They're alos about twice the money here, and I just couldn't justify spending that much.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

I had that problem too, my first set of optimas died after 1 year and I had bought it with a 1 year warranty.
    Didn't know better at the time so I chucked it.
    Now I got 3 year manufacturer warranty, and by the way I destryed the battery, it wasn't it's fault, I had it in my Jeep and I had a short somewhere and it drained the battery 10 times before I found the problem, by then the battery was toast.
    On the other hand, I had a wet acid battery flip on it's side and destroyed stuff worth more than the optima, so I now always go with the GEL type and those are the ones I find here.
    When I was in the middle east there was a German made Gel battery that was awesome and cheaper then the Optima, can't find it here.

One thing about the Gel batteries, they don't tolerate more than 15.5V so if you have a faulty regulator you could fry the Battery, a wet acid battery can take a little longer and evaporates the water in the acid, so all you do is replenish with distilled water.
    Enough rambling /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    I had a wet acid battery flip on it's side

[/ QUOTE ]

Bungee battery tie down? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Bungee battery tie down?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to run those until the first real trip offroad... Welded the battery to the core support in short order. Luckily I was able to pry it off and get home /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I had a wet acid battery flip on it's side

[/ QUOTE ]

Bungee battery tie down? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it was hard mounted but the mount was old and rusted and broke off when the truck was too much off camber.

I don't feel that anymore since the engine is fine with the slopes.

Anyway, to me it's a matter of preference, it doesn't mean it's the only way to go, but you will always see me say what I like to do.

11. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    Didnt want to start another battery thread, so Rene, how much did your batterys run you and where did you get them from? I need to buy 2 new ones but not sure if Im gonna have to resort to running 600cca kirkland batterys yet /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif will 600-800cca's work for me?

Thanks Jordan

12. tRustyK5

I got mine at Lordco, and with the 4WDABC discount I was out the door for roughly a hundred bucks each. I recall spending more that day but can't recall what else I bought.

Optima's here run over $200 each...

I think the minimum needed would be a total 1500 CCA, so a pair of 800's would do. Obviously the bigger the better, especially if you have a winch as well.

Rene

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I got mine at Lordco, and with the 4WDABC discount I was out the door for roughly a hundred bucks each. I recall spending more that day but can't recall what else I bought.

Optima's here run over $200 each...

I think the minimum needed would be a total 1500 CCA, so a pair of 800's would do. Obviously the bigger the better, especially if you have a winch as well.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I can get 2 optimas for that much here.
    Well I forgot how expensive some things can be up there, I was there in 1999 and I had a couple of flats so I went to Canada tire to get a new set of four and it cost me double of what I had just been quoted 2 days earlier in NJ.
    /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif