Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battery, alternator, charging question

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by OFFRDK5, Feb 4, 2004.

1. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here is the riddle for the day:

Say you have 2 dead 1000 amp 875 CCA batteries
    1 78 amp alt running at full output
    How long is it going to take these batteries to charge? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Also, how much total power is pulled from the batteries when you turn on your AC60 glow plugs?

Reason being I have 2 dead batteries, again. Ran the rig for a good half hour or so the last time they died. Prolly not enough eh? /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Thanks

2. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

60Gs can pull about 14 amps each. How many times have you killed the batteries? Normal lead acid batteries can only take deep cycling a few times before their capacity starts dropping drasticaly, maybe you killed the batteries completly?

At idle your 78 amp altinator was probably only making say 30 amps, or 15 to each battery. 30 minutes would not have been long enough.

3. OFFRDK5

Just to get this right a AC60 pulls 14 amps in how long a time? 1 second? 30 seconds?

And that would prolly answer my second question of how long do I need to recharge these batteries after doing a 30 second glow and start?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

a 30 second glow??? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

5. OFFRDK5

Yea, that's how long I glow em in the winter time. When I can't plug it in it needs all the help it can get!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

Battery charging is calculated by knowing battery amp/hour capacity and supplied or charging amp hours. The CA or CCA rating of a battery does not define the current (amps) over time rating. That is determined by amp hours or the Reserve time rating.

Here is the calculation to convert Reserve time to amp hours: amp hours =(Reserve time /2) +15.5 I am guessing your batteries have a reserve time of say 120 minutes. That would make your batteries 75.5 amp hours each.

To calculate how long that would take to charge use this:

Time (in hours)=1.6 * (charge needed, completly dead= 100%) / charging amps.

In your case that would be: (1.6*100%) / 15 amps or 10.6 hours to charge to 100%.

Keep in mind many things can effect this, temperature, battery condition etc.

Does that help?

7. OFFRDK5

I understand all that, I just didn't know it was that big of an explanation!!

Took the batteries out to charge them on a battery charger and one wasn't charging just right. Popped the lids off to see if the levels were ok and found some frozen cells!! One battery is ok...the other is toast!! Time to bitch at AutoZone again!!!

Thanks

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I understand all that, I just didn't know it was that big of an explanation!!

Took the batteries out to charge them on a battery charger and one wasn't charging just right. Popped the lids off to see if the levels were ok and found some frozen cells!! One battery is ok...the other is toast!! Time to bitch at AutoZone again!!!

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Are the batteries fairly new?
    If not replace both, you will kill the old one fast if you put a new one with it, and yeah I never try charging the batteries from the alt, just take them out and put them on a charger, it will show you potential problems like that.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If they're both under warranty and one is bad make them replace both. Explain how having one weaker older battery will just kill the replacement battery in a dual battery application.

Rene

10. OFFRDK5

One battery is over 3 yrs old and the other is less than a month old. The old one is still under warranty, but they want to put it under the "prorated" warranty and barely give me $20 for a $70 battery!!