Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battery cable broke = rough idle...Help...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by socal chevy, Apr 1, 2006.

1. socal chevy

socal chevy 1/2 ton status

I did a little wheeling the other day, and didnt realize that I rattled the battery loose, and it fell and broke off the battery cable adapter. The battery must have been laying on the adapter, and worked, because I drove for about 10 minutes, then BAM...NO POWER!... I pulled over and checked the battery, and the adapter (The thing that pinches the wire, and then screws to the battery) was completely broken off. So, I replaced the adapter with a new one, but now my truck drives very wierd. It vibrates alot from the engine compartment when I give it gas, and everytime I stop I hear a "clicking" noise. Does anyone know what happend?...Seems to me like it should drive the same as when the battery was conected before. But maybe the Dizzy is messed up now?... I dont want to drive it, for fear that I might cause additonal damage. Please help. Thanks!

2. socal chevy

to the top

3. socal chevy

someone help!

4. socal chevy

5. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I assume you looked around at anything the battery might have struck, dents, cracks in anything? Maybe it cracked a vacuum hose/fitting or bent your EGR linkage (causing EGR at idle, when there should be none). Did the PCV valve get dinged and thus no longer functions properly?

6. socal chevy

I didnt notice anything at all. My vacuum lines are not hooked up correctly, so it cant be that. Where is the EGR linkage? And where is the PCV valve?... Im pretty sure it didnt hit either of those, but I will check. Does anyone have any other ideas of what it could be?

7. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

maybe ya bashed that #2 plug wire boot on that corner, might be arcing out or something.. start it at night and look for sparks.. or the plug itself may be cracked..

8. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

x2

You need to check EVERYTHING that the battery hit. Any battery acid leakage? Clean it off if not aleady done. Don't risk a fire from damaged wires or corrosion damage.

The clicking is either a relay that is shorted, unlikley unless its an aftermarket add-on. More than likely, its an plugh wire or plug damaged and the spark not making it to the cylinder.

You may be having other problems as well with the vacuum advance. The routing is outlined on the sticker under the hood (to the right of the hood latch). Looks confusing until you start.