Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battery Cable Length

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazin Ed, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Blazin Ed

Blazin Ed Registered Member

Hey Guys... I'm planning on replacing the positive battery cable to the starter with 1 guage but haven't had time to take it out first.. Does anyone happen to know what the length is, I saw a applications book at Shucks that said 45", can anyone confirm? Thanks for the help!

Ed

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i'll look tonight...mine sitting on the garage floor next to the engine.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

1 Gage Locomotive cable?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Uhhhhh wow! you won't have any voltage drop over those 24 inches! That's major over kill!
    What if I told you you could carry the same amperage on a fine strand 4 gage cable as you could on a 1 gage course strand. Electicity travels on the outside of the wire not in the core. a Course strand cable will have less surface area for the electricity to travel on than a fine strand 4 gage will. This is also the reason that sometimes soldering the cable is not a good idea. you loose surface area because it becomes one mass at the connection.
    Where are you going to get 1 Gage ring terminals that will fit the 3/8s bolt?
    My reason for pointing this all out is fine strand 1 Gage is not common and VERY expensive. Any decent Stereo shop is going to have 4 gage fine strand and the ring connectors at a much better price. and I have even seen it at Home Depot If you know the length cabe you need they will probably install the rings on the cable for you. There are special crimpers to handle that size.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Unless you are planning some sort of major loads on that thing, thats way overkill. Grim's right, measured "voltage drop" last night, and the difference in voltage between the battery and fuse panel (headlights and radio on, idling) was nonexistent. Stock battery cable is more than capable for anything most people need it to do.

That gauge wire is rated at like 90 some amps I think, and actually carries something like 3-500 when you start the truck. (which is why you don't leave the starter running and you need to let it cool down..the wire is extremely overtaxed in that case)