Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

battery charge

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fatboy, Dec 3, 2003.

1. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

been haven some troubles with my charging system all of the sudden. Red top optima battery has 11.23 volts right now as it sits but it will not turn over. noticed that the volts were down as I was driving (11 to 12 volts) and thought it maybe the alt so replaced it with a new rebuild I had never used and the volts are now actually lower around (8 volts) when running. Now I am thinking starter, I have checked all the electical leads in engine area, all is well and maybe the alt I had rebuilt is faulty. any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. oldtoyboyd

oldtoyboyd 1/2 ton status

Do you here the starter solonoid click or engage. Have you tried to jump the solonoid or run a dirrent line to the starter motor to see if it spins. I have had problems with the alt turn on lead shorting out in the past on some 80-85 chevys. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

3. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Take off your ground on the frame/engine clean the loop and the contact point with a die grinder or sandpaper and re install them, also make sure that your + wire is tight on the starter. If every thing is good, have an assistant turn the ket to start, and use a testlight/mm to check for power to the small post on the starter. If theres no power there while attempting to crank let me know and ill tell ya what you need to check next.