Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battery dilema

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Dec 4, 2005.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

I just installed a hellroaring battery isolator in the crewcab. It wa a breeze to install, but I'm having trouble deciding what backup battery to run. Right now I have a optima red top. I was thinking, as a backup battery, I more than likely wont need it, so why not just get a $30 battery and call it good. Do I really need a more expensive battery?

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I hate cheap batteries, by the time you need it you will find out it has gone bad on you. I would back it up with a deep cycle battery

3. lrazer

lrazer 1/2 ton status

you can always get a cheap spiral cell

like $50 or so and it will be a lot better than a cheap regular battery

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

You can get an Econo Optima for about 40 bucks.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am using one of Wal-Mart's finest right now. I needed a battery on a Sunday during hhurricane season. It has actually been a great battery. With all of the lights and radio equipment running it does great. I was very surprised, plus I can excahnge it anywhere on the earth if it goes bad.

6. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Where are you finding ECONO Optima's for 400 bucks?

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am sold on my Wal-Mart special. Went mudding last week - the alternator crapped out about 30 mins from the house. made it back on the Battery. At night.

8. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I've got the Hell Roaring set-up in the truggy with a Yellow Top as the primary and a Red Top as back-up. I think you'd want a good battery as backup...Just by it's vary nature, a back up battery should be reliable. I can't see a $30 battery being as reliable as a quality battery.

My electrical system is one thing I didn't, and won't ever, skimp on. 140 amp Powermaster Alternator, Hell Roaring set-up, Red and Yellow Top Optimas and all cable made from 1/0 or 2/0 welding cable.

*edit*

BTW, theres alot of good reading on the Hell Roaring website. I'd suggest ya read as much of it as possible. :)

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

At the very least use a quality deep cycle. 30 min should be nothing for a charged bat. I was going to Tellico (3 hour drive) one w/e and just finished some lighting mods and was run a bunch of stuff off the bat for at least that long, as made the drive my light got dimmer as we drove. I also notice my CB range shrinking (I was yakking with Keith most of the way up). It didn't take long to figure out my alt was not charging, probably wasn't for a few days. Anyway, we made to Murphy, still running and lights still on, but dim. I've beat this red top bad, including several winch pulls w/ an 8274. It is in my wife's Jeep right now, still going strong. I'm a believer in Optimas, but the there are plenty of other good batteries out there.