Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battery disconnect

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by OFFRDK5, Dec 30, 2003.

1. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Anyone ever done a quick battery disconnect with a switch and dual batteries? I have an idea, just think there might be something better out there!!

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyone ever done a quick battery disconnect with a switch and dual batteries? I have an idea, just think there might be something better out there!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to have one but with my diesel, I need so much power that the switch I was using wasn't up to the task.
    Now I am looking for a bigger one.
    I do however have the warn disconnect plugs for the winch that I was thinking of using.

3. OFFRDK5

Well, thanks for answering. I thought no one had ever done this before!!

I found a 50 amp one at Farm n Fleet and I really don't think it will hold up considering that I know a starter will melt cables and melt batteries!!!! They say that there is a 300 amp one, but the salesman and I couldn't find it!!

Think the 300 would hold up? How did you have yours connected? I was thinking about taking both engine grounds and attaching them to the one post then taking that to the engine ground. But I still think that would be way too much power going through there!!

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, thanks for answering. I thought no one had ever done this before!!

I found a 50 amp one at Farm n Fleet and I really don't think it will hold up considering that I know a starter will melt cables and melt batteries!!!! They say that there is a 300 amp one, but the salesman and I couldn't find it!!

Think the 300 would hold up? How did you have yours connected? I was thinking about taking both engine grounds and attaching them to the one post then taking that to the engine ground. But I still think that would be way too much power going through there!!

[/ QUOTE ]

50 amps is no where near enough.
    I have a couple of 170 amp disconnects, and together they should be enough.
    The 300 amp if you can get it would be good, but I am sure it's gonna be mucho $$$$$.
    I was trying to get one that big but it was more than $500.
    As for how:
    Well you want to disconnect the positive end, the one going to the starter.
    If you want more details, email me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. OFFRDK5

Well, the disconnect I got was a 50 amp continuous and a 300 amp max. I still think I would have turned it into a pile of scrap in a few seconds!!

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, the disconnect I got was a 50 amp continuous and a 300 amp max. I still think I would have turned it into a pile of scrap in a few seconds!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You want something that can take at least 150 amp continuous.
    Last night I found one at Harbor freight that was I think 300 amp continuous and 700 peak.
    I might be trying this one.
    It's the simple Jack knife style and it's $20