Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battery drain

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bking, Aug 8, 2001.

1. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

I cannot post a message in the audio section, can anyone here help?
    I just fitted a new Jensen cd player in my K5. In the instruction booklet it said to connect the main yellow wire to a constant power supply, this is for the clock and radio station memory. So, I spliced into the ciggy lighter and it worked fine, however, next day my new battery was totally dead. I used one of those Schorsche ? fit kits, connect it up sweet, however I have a 'spare' wire, it's orange and I think (According to the fit kit info) that its called 'lamp' I had this connected to the ciggy lighter too, is that the problem? I disconnected this 'lamp' wire and the cd still works fine, do you think this orange wire somehow was draining the battery? I don't want to go out tomorrow and it be dead again, where I live there's not too much traffic to ask anyone for a 'jump' Everything is connected properly, except this orange wire, what does anyone think?

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

That's most likely your problem - The "Lamp" lead should be connected to your dash/running lights. It's also a good idea to run a dedicated hot lead from the fuse block, and leave the lighter circuit completely out of it. For reasons totally unknown, GM lighter circuits tend to be touchy, and can seemingly tie the whole electrical system in knots.

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

You can buy the correct pigtails for your fuse panel to run ign and or constant B plus....tapping into a ciciut is a no-no...every circuit is rated in amps...and is designed at 66%...so you have an extra 33% of leway for problems...so please hook your stereo up on its own fused circuit.

Azblazer

1979 K5 350 TBI
    1976 K5 Chalet
    If it ain't got arizona pinstriping.....you ain't wheelin the pee outa her!

4. Fish

Fish Registered Member

Is your left-over orange wire the wire that's only supposed to get power when the ignition is on? You should have one constant power source and one that becomes hot with the ignition. I think that wire is usually red though. Definitly re-wire it from the fuse box, or splice into the factory harness.

5. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Thanks, ok, pictures this, the connector running from the back of the cd, to the schorshe connector, which connects to the black, blue and white original blazer connectors. At the schorshe connector there is an orange wire, which in reality should run to a corresponding wire on the connector at the back of the cd, there is no corresponding wire at the back of the cd. How do I get my gauge lights to work again?
    Also, do I just run the constant live wire to an empty block on the fuse block?

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

You can run into one of the "bat" terminals I think, but make sure you have an in-line fuse on it. Shoot, I didn't look at your profile. I thought these trucks had a constant bat lead for the stereo in '86, maybe you can dig around and find it? I have my 88's constant hot hooked up to a stock wire that appears to be exactly what it was intended for (it's not going anywhere else, just up with the other stereo leads, and everythhing else works, so it wasn't removed from anything obvious).

For the "lamp" lead, You can probably safely and easily tap into the lamp wires that go into your climate control panel just above the stereo.

I'm not a stereo expert at all, but I recall every stereo I've done with lows for an amplifier, had an orange wire to be used for the Amp switch.

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Your ad here**

7. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Yes, but, I still have a lamp problem. The gray lamp wire runs into the schorshe adapter, and orange comes out the other side, to nowhere? Where do I connect this orange wire to, surely I can't just run it back into the lamp circuit? That wouldn't acheive anything, at the minute I have no dash lights or anything, because of this bloody hanging wire.

8. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

OK - I've got you now. Your deck doesn't use a lamp lead, but you still have no gauge lights? If that's the case, check your fuses.

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

9. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Yes, thats right, Hmm, I think hahaha.
    I have normal display on the cd, and no dash lights. The lamp lead (gray) goes into the schorshe adapter and comes out on the other side of the block orange, not connected to anything, and nowhere to connect to. This must mean that the original radio used this gray wire, made a loop inside the old radio and went back out completing the circuit, what I have is an orange lead, breaking the circuit I guess.

10. Fish

Fish Registered Member

bking,

One more thing to check, seems like I had a S-10 that used either an orange or a brown wire for a ground. Check your old radio to see if it has a wiring schematic on it. Sometimes these "easy" radio installs can be a real pain. Good luck.