Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battery Drain

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dmanblazer, Mar 3, 2007.

1. dmanblazer

dmanblazer 1/2 ton status

I bridged the negative post on the battery with a test light like I've read in other posts and as I've also read I pulled the fuses one at a time with no luck, I checked the wires nothing found, I pulled the big red wire on the back of the alternator still no luck. But I happened on a thread that Shaggy started and read what he said about the plug on top of the alternator and went out and pulled mine and the light went out my plug looked burnt and charred the way he described that his looked ( the big red wire on the back is still unhooked ). Now this is a 1983 K5 that came out with a 305 maybe a throttle body because it has alot of wires cut. Now it has a new Goodwrench 350 motor with a carburator on it The guy I bought it from said the drain didn't start happening until he switched engines. I don't know if he pulled the 305 or if the guy he got it from pulled it. But could this be the drain? If not could I put a battery disconnect switch on the red wire from the battery until I have more time to find it?

2. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Could be but one thing is for certain. That wire charges your battery so if you run it with that wire disconnected it will certainly drain the battery.

3. dmanblazer

I'm not running it at all right now until I'm sure I've got it fixed. And I'm definitely not going to run it with that wire off. I was born at night but I wasn't born last night, LOL !!!

4. dmanblazer

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Have the alternator tested. If it puts out too much voltage that will kill a battery and can even make the battery explode. It would also account for the melted wires as those wires cannot hold much more amperage than they already do for the guage of wire that is used.

6. dmanblazer

Well I dropped the starter and there is 3 posts the big one in the middle and two on either side. Now I have worked on starters but it's been awhile and I can't remember how the wires are hooked up, I know the big wire from the battery goes to the big posts but that's all I can remember.

7. 4X4HIGH

On a 1983 blazer there won't be any wire on the outer most terminal that should be labeled (R) which was only used on engines with point distributors. You should have the battery cable and one other cable on the big battery terminal and then i believe a purple wire on the (S) terminal which goes to the ignition switch.

8. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

That's good:rolleyes: It was hard to answer your question without being insulting though. Hope you figure it out.

9. dmanblazer

I wasn't insulted at all.

Well that wasn't it I checked the wires at the starter and they were hooked up right. But I thought the red wire in the alt plug was supposed to be hot only when the key was on and the red wire on the post on the back of the alt was hot all the time, but I checked the wires on my "79 and they light up with the test light the same way and I know that system is working correctly so now I'm back to square one.

10. 4X4HIGH

Have the alternator tested. It can have a bad diode in it which will allow it to discharge a battery. Also like i already said if the alternator puts out too much voltage it will kill a battery.

11. dmanblazer

Is the red wire in the plug suposed to be hot with the ignition off?

12. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

13. dmanblazer

Well the problem was the alternator. Thanks for all the help guys!

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Was the diode group bad?

15. 4X4HIGH

This could have been fixed or diagnosed alot sooner had you listened to me in the first place when i told you to have the alternator tested. :D

I've had many years of experience working on cars/trucks but people still don't seem to listen to me. :crazy:

Glad you finally figured out your problem. Now you need to know why it failed so maybe it can be avoided again in the future.

16. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Maybe it's the stock looking K5 in your avatar, makes people think you just keep your K5 clean, and know about mothers, and turtle wax. :D :haha: :doah:

17. 4X4HIGH

No one said a wheeler had to be all beat up. My rig is pretty clean as you know but it has just about everything you could ever want in a wheeler. The only thing i'm lacking at this time is a doubler and that is in the works as i type. Maybe if people took the time to actually read a profile to find out what line of work a person is in and how long they've been doing it they would be able to weed out the people they should listen to and the ones they shouldn't. :doah:

18. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Your posts were very knowledgeable and who knows why he didn't take your advice. "You can lead a horse to water.....":rolleyes::rolleyes:

19. 4X4HIGH

Yep, "but you can't make them drink". :D

20. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Hey and he knows more than just engines...
    :haha: