Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

battery help!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Confederate9, Sep 11, 2001.

1. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

hey yall heresmy situration. my blazer has been sitting for 3 weeks about. well now i am able to do workunder theblazer on a ceeper in my cast cause it doesnt require walking, but anyways as i said its been sitting 3 weeks, so i go out oda to work under it, so i roll down all the windows and turn on the radio, the after about 45min it started skipping, as if liek a scratched cd, then the skips started to get longer, so i looked at the radio and it looked liek the batt cutt off then came bakc on. so i on know what is going on. the truck wouldnt start either.
    is it th battery or what? the battery is only 1 year old.
    and i know all the things inside the blazr were turned off.
    here is what i have hooked up that is not stock to my batt, a musical horn,2 cb's, sub woofer box, amp, and a 4x52 watt sony xplod head unit.
    so does anyone have an idea on what is wrong?

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

You just drained the battery. 45 minutes pushing an amp and speakers...of course its dead. When you jump it or charge it, drive around for a while so the alternator can have time to fully recharge it.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

4. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i did that last week
    now it did it again today.

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

A plate inside the battery might have slipped or something. Get a new one for free if you still have the warrenty papers on it.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

One thing that hasn't been brought up is the alternator. Have you checked it yet? Maybe the regulator is shot. I would suggest having the alternator checked.

<font color=red>"Maybe you could drive better with that cell phone up your azz?!!!"</font color=red>

7. Mine did the same thing, the only real way to re-charge it is to put it on a charger disconnected from the truck. If you drained it all the way down it might not want to charge back up fully on the Alt. At least that was my problem, I put on the charger overnight and no problems since.

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

8. CAROLINAK5

CAROLINAK5 1/2 ton status

confederate9, here's the deal...sounds as if you drain the battery to an all time low, first off, it doesn't take much effort to power a stereo, lights and a few other options. starting a vehicle does take a good hit on a battery. try putting in another battry from any other vehicle you have and test the altenator. with the vehicle running, disconnect the postive lead. if the vehicle dies you have a bad alt. if it runs, you have a bad battery. you can try charging a battery out of the vehicle, but if the battery is drained to low, it will never again hold a charge. throw it out and start again. best thing to do is take it to somewhere like Firestone or Sears...they can check the whole starting/charging system while the battery is in the vehicle for near to nothin'. i would also advise getting a higher rated battery for the blazer if you have that many options and possibly a higher rated alternator. if i have confused you, then you know how i felt last monday! lol
    just kidding....i'm directionally disfunctional!