Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

battery is fine now, but won't start-URGENT TRUCK HELP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Feb 11, 2006.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

EDIT:

ARRGH :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I don't know what the heck happened but now it starts fine. Well, cranks fine. The battery seems to be working well, dn't know what the heck happened before. It won't start up or anything now though. It just keeps flooding. The funny thing is I had it running for at least 15 minutes total today, and it even idled fine. So I have NO clue why it won't start now. There is gas in it, and when I manually move the throttle i can hear the gas squirting.

Why won't it start now? :mad:

Okay this is getting really stupid. Decided to quit fighting with the old battery in the Jimmy so went and spent 100 bucks on a new one. So I hook it up and expect it to turn over on the first try. They even charged the battery quickly for me before I left. I go to start it and it just kills the battery. The interior light dies and everything. I can't turn it over again.

So then I wait a few minutes, disconnect and reconnect the battery. Try again same thing.

Why won't the stupid thing start? I just need to move it into the garage, thats all im asking out of this. This sort of BS makes me feel like selling it.

someone please help.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like you've got a direct short at the solonoid or on the heavy cable to the starter if you've got a remote solonoid.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So is the engine turning over, or does everything just dim like there is a huge draw on the battery when you turn the key to start?

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Crappy connections on the cable will do this; my Burb would look okay, dome light would come on ... then I'd try to crank her, which drew enough juice that the goo on the battery cable would heat up, and then the dome light would go out and the thing would play dead ... coupla hours later, she'd start all over again.

Clean and check the battery cables and connections. Cheap, possibly even free, and easy.

-- A

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I had a neg battery cable go bad and it did this. The parts store cables are pieces of crap, so I got some 0 gauge and made my own.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ARRGH :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I don't know what the heck happened but now it starts fine. Well, cranks fine. The battery seems to be working well, dn't know what the heck happened before. It won't start up or anything now though. It just keeps flooding. The funny thing is I had it running for at least 15 minutes total today, and it even idled fine. So I have NO clue why it won't start now. There is gas in it, and when I manually move the throttle i can hear the gas squirting.

Why won't it start now? :mad:

7. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Did the electric choke open?

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

No clue. How do I find out?

Oh yeah, and I rebuilt the Q-Jet last winter.

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Did it run right after the Q-jet rebuild?

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

It ran fine after the Q-jet rebuild, besides the choke. I dissassembled it so I think i don't have it adjusted right. it would always start up, just not idle in the winter because of the choke not working.

:dunno:

11. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I wasn't paying attn. '84, electric choke. When its cold, the choke has a "clock spring" that "closes" that door at the top of the primaries, the throats in the front of the carb (air cleaner off). The wire to the choke element is in circuit with the ignition, so as its running for a bit, the "clock spring" winds/unwinds(whatever) to open the door over the primaries. If the wire's not hooked up or not live, you murderer, you're killing your engine! :haha: Spark plugs might be wet or black. Or, the choke mechanical parts just might be stuck. Sounds like you're close.

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

How do I know if the wire is hooked up? LOL I feel like an idiot. I rebuilt the carb but I don't reember anything about it :o
    Sorry, thanks for the help.

13. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Here's the choke in the center of the pic.

P2120306.JPG

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay yeah I was thinking about it last night and it was a stupid question on my part. I checked that yesterday and the connector is on the carb for the wire...

15. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

So when you reply to this, its to tell us you've hooked it up and it runs like snot?

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

No, it's hooked up and it still won't start. I played with the choke linkage and haven't a clue if its set up or even working:mad: Tried priming it manually with gas down the carb. Still nothing!
    After I try starting it and turn the igniition off I hear this weird bubbling or draining sound of what must be the gas. I never noticed this before. What is it doing that for?

17. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Well, its either too much gas or no spark. Too much gas could be a stuck float (valve)? Check fuses?

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

How do I check if something is stuck? Where do I find the fuses to check? Sorry to sound like an idiot but im sort of new to doing this sort of stuff solo.

It wouldn't be such a big deal to me if I couldn't get it running yesterday at all. But like I said I had it running yesterday quite a few times. It idled for 10 or so minutes to warm everything up. Then after that I started it maybe 3-6 times in the period of a couple hours to drive it a bit. It doesn't make sense that at the end of the day it stops working. I don't understand this stuff anymore. my patience are fading :(:(:mad:

thanks for the help so far.

19. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Pull #3 and #4 plugs, wet? black? I say 3 & 4 because they're easiest, usually.

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright I will do that tomorrow and report back.