Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battery Isolator install question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hidesertwheelin, Aug 12, 2006.

1. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Here's what little I know about those:

Some of the late GM alts (all CS series?) need a voltage sense terminal on the diode bridge or they do not charge properly. That is what the smaller 4th stud is all about. Whether this sense wire eliminates the voltage drop of charging thru a diode is a question I've not seen an answer to. If it does, then that's likely the best option of all.

If you have access to a good wiring diagram of your truck and are competent at splicing wires then you probably don't need those extra parts.

If you don't or aren't then you probably want at least the first part. Not quite sure what the second part does.

3. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I've got that same exact isolator. I know I bought a wiring kit when I got the isolator but I don't remember which one. I'll look at what all I've got on there tonight or tomorrow and post up with a description of what I've got. I've been using mine for about 4 years now with no problems whatsoever. When my K5 was in storage during '04 my main battery went completely dead. I switched the batteries around and it fired right up.

Rick

4. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I have the same one. Go to their website and download the instructions. They are very detailed and cover all the alternators.

5. Dallin

Dallin 1/2 ton status

The website is www.surepower.com The fourth terminal provides the required feedback to turn the alternator on. (CS alternators won't turn on unless they sense a charged battery is hooked up) The fourth or e terminal is not the voltage sense terminal. CS alternaotrs do use a voltage sense terminal which will compensate for the small voltage drop caused by the isolator. I have never liked the kits. I just wire up my own. The Sure Power website has good instructions. Goodluck.

6. rick88blaze

Here you go, I attached a picture of the diagram I used to wire my isolator up.

batisodiagram2.jpg

I couldn't tell how many amps my circuit breaker is, it's too dirty :D. I do know it's a cheap one that is more like a fuse. So if it goes I'll have to get a new one.

Like I said previously, I've ran this for 4 years now with no problems. :thumb:

Rick

batisodiagram2.jpg

7. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Where I mounted mine...........
    [​IMG]

8. rick88blaze

Mine's on the driver's side fenderwell next to washer fluid jug. :D

Rick