Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battery Isolator Location

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scavenger, Oct 24, 2002.

1. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

I am about to install a Sure Power battery isolator on my 85 K5 and need some advice on where to mount the isolator, and what gauge / type of wire to run. My Blazer is basically stock and I plan on hooking the auxiliary battery to the Western plow pump. The plow pump will probably be the only item connected to this battery. I would also like to know if there is a simple method to install a switch that would allow me to jump start the main battery, or if I needed more juice for the plow. I have looked at a lot of the other posts regarding isolators but didn't see anything entitled WIRING FOR DUMMIES. I wish I could have afforded the Hellroaring unit, but had to settle for a 120 amp Sure Power. The isolator I have is model 12023A and has posts identified as 1,E,A, and 2. I will not be using the E post because I have the older style 105 amp Delco SI series alternator. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated....thanks,
    Pat.

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Is this a true isolator or a constant duty solnoid system?
    I use a system that can truly isolate the two batterys, as well as jump the truck if need be.
    I belive the system is close to the one NW wrangler power products uses. But I'm not 100% sure.

3. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

I believe it is a true isolator but not really sure. By my post you probably figured out I need a lot of help when it comes to electronics (probably other areas too)....Thanks

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

From the 1, E, A & 2 I recognize an isolator.
    E is for Exitator, and if your alternator doesn't have one you don't need it.
    Now I would put it on the firewall, closest I can to the alternator, and I would use at least guage 6, and better yet 4.
    Now if the secondary battery is far, I would use the thicker guage, if it's with 3' then gueage 6 would be fine.
    As for the jumping, you can use a switch but I would have a provision to disconnect the battery 2 from the connection 2 before I connect to 1.
    If you give a couple of days, since I am busy till monday, I can draw you a scheme that you can use to do all of this, and by the way you will need a starter relay to switch this much juice, or you can do what I did when I needed to jump it, I unhooked the wire from position 2 and hooked it to 1.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Sure power is the orignal inventors of isolators. Go to thier web site and you can find the schematics for wiring it up. This isolator is designed to charge both batteries and in the event the main battery should die you can still start the vehicle. I have the 90 amp version that I installed on the driver side fender well in place of the original jack.

6. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the information Iceman and Scott. Iceman, I would really appreciate a drawing if you wouldn't mind. It looks like I won't get to it this weekend anyways because I won't have a weekend because the other 3rd shifter says he is going to be sick again.........Thanks