Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battery issues

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jms, Jun 16, 2005.

1. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Ended up w/ yellow main, red aux.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  2. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

Before buying new ones, try dropping them from waist height. I heard the plates will "freeze" together, and dropping them will break em free to take a charge.

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I've heard that several times before too.

4. mrk5

I'm only running one red top right now. I plan to get a yellow top if I ever get an electric winch. So I would say one red and one yellow. Some where I've gotten the impressoin that the deep cycle battery will work better with a winch.

5. mrk5

Summit has always treated me very well.

Maybe someone in the evening crew can give you some more opinions. :dunno:

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

It seems odd that both batteries die at the exact same time. Are you sure your alternator is working correctly or you don't have a short somewhere?

7. greg mgm

greg mgm 1/2 ton status

Im a noob to the site, but far from it with trucks.. What worked for me was to pull the positive cable from the battery and hook up a ohm meter from ground to the open cable. Turn off everything, and close the doors, and the reading should show high resistance. (I use a non-digital meter) If there's a low resistance, start pulling fuses one at a time to see what circuit has the draw. My truck battery died also, and turned out to be that the radio drew too much from the battery (it was from the radio memory, even though it was off), but in my case the truck sat for a couple of months.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  8. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Fixed it for you, you had it backwards. Minimal resistance would be close to a short == bad.
    A better way to do the same sort of test is to check the current draw while the battery is hooked up.

9. greg mgm

greg mgm 1/2 ton status

Doh!! OK you got me!!! I corrected my post. Thanks for simplifying the test also.

10. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Stay with optima and get a yellow top. I run 3 yellow tops in my rig and never have power problems. I also use a 3 way isolator to seperate all 3 of them. If any of them die, I can jump off the others at the isolator. I have used optimas in my rigs for at least 13 years and love them.

11. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I am sold on Optima's. I will never, ever buy any other battery brand again. I run dual red tops in my Blazer and I love them. Dropping them from 3-4 feet will bring them back to life most of the time.

12. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

if u are sightly familiar with dc then i wouldnt worry about the new batts, just make shure u use a multimeter to check ure resitance in line. i have had an isolater stick(?) before (after i rolled about 30' into a creek)so it wasnt very effective isolator (that confused me-i thought they were solid-state?), so possibly test leads to make shure u have isolation. i agrree with optimas

13. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if you have a winch or plan on getting one get the yellow top as the second bat :D :D

14. Boondocks

Boondocks 1/2 ton status

I have had an Optima fail as well, but they have an 3 year free replacement warranty. My local battery shop replaced it on the spot, no questions asked, and I didn't have a receipt.

15. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

When a battery is really dead, you don't want a trickle charger. You want to hit them with a lot of current. If you don't have a big charger, jump it from a running vehicle.

16. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Sorry to hear about the problem. I have two yellow tops and they seem to work good. I also use the PM 140A alternator. Maybe Blue is right and you should try it. Isolators can go bad as easy as anything else so make sure you recheck it after you get some good batteries in there so you don't have an unexpected relaps of the dual dead batteries again. I dumped my isolator and just doubled them up. Hope you get it figured out bud.

17. mrk5

I'd also search over at Pirate. You can find a lot of good info on stuff like this that is not vehicle specific.