Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battery overflowing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, May 4, 2006.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

It's not a good thing to see water overflowing from a new battery when a motor is running. Is that usually the regulator built into the alternator going bad and overcharging it?

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

it could be the regulator or there is a short to ground causing the battery to heat up, but if the battery still holds a charge when the truck is off i would suspect the alternator

3. mountainexplorer

Well, the only ground I have is from the alternator bracket. Right now I just have the battery hooked up to cables but sitting on the front axle/knuckle since theres no front nose clip. Maybe it's a lack of ground to the body? Or could that do it?

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

no i have run my truck the same way, and had my battery start to boil and over flow when the wire to the alt fell and touched the frame. The battery in a way acts like a resistor the more current that is put through it the hotter it gets and the only two ways to cause a large amount of current to flow is a major short to ground or to much current going in from a bad regulator

5. mountainexplorer

Must be a bad regulator. Doesn't spark at all when I touch terminals, and the wire isn't grounding out anywhere.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Throw a meter across the terminals when off, and then again with the engine running.... conventional wisdom says anything over about +15V is not going to end well.

:usaflag: