Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Battery placement...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Confedneck79K30, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

is there any reason not to run the battery inside the cab? i understand if it boils out, its not good to breathe, but otherwise??

2. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

A normal battery may spill acid all over you in a rollover or accident. Goodbye skin - hello 'scar man'.:(
    Don't do it with a conventional acid filled battery - way to risky.

Something like an Optima would be the only battery you should consider in a passenger compartment. It would be ALOT safer than a conventional acid filled battery. I'm not 100% sure of the safety factor of running a Optimal style (sealed gel style) battery in the passenger compartment. Anyone else?

3. Confedneck79K30

i will definately go optima, but i figure, i can cut the passenger floorboard, bend it out, weld in a plate of 3/16" between the 2 pieces, and the only part of the battery that would actually be accessable would be the posts (if you needed to jumpstart), and the rest, would in effect be in the engine bay, only youd remove it from the inside...

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I would probably be ok with an optima or other gell cell type, in the cab. No way on the acid type. I've seen 2 explode on start up (one was mine).. that would be enough to keep me from doing it. It will certainly get your full attention if it happens. Sounds like a shotgun on steriods.

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Even with an Optima, it should be inside a sealed case and vented to the outside.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'd run any type of battery inside the cab if it was semi-enclosed in the right type of battery box.

rock buggy guys have pretty much nuttin' between them and their batteries and they roll all the time. Haven't heard of anyone being turned into Freddy Kruger from a leaking battery yet. Yes, battery acid is bad... but unless your battery explodes, I don't think their is much risk of acid getting on you, even in a nasty roll. Me thinks some peeps are paranoid.

j

7. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

I have mine mounted behind the seats in a sealed box bolted to the floor.
    seems to be OK...

I have seen 2 people get scalded by coolant when a radiator hose blew off of a radiator mounted in the bed though...not pretty....:eek1:

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The cool thing about an Optima type battery is that you don't always need a battery box or tray. I know of two yellow tops that have many thousands of Baja washboard miles on them. They hang upside down under a DMax at the rear of the bed. No venting required. They are simply bolted thru the bed and thru the holes btwn the cells to a diagonal strap across the bottom (top).

If you want to put them inside I would suggest some sort of cover for them for a couple reasons. First is you don't want something metallic being able to short across the terminals. That wouldn't be too cool. Second is that if they do vent for whatever reason you don't really want those corrosive fumes inside, to say nothing of the potential for breathing them.

I, too, have been around a battery that exploded on start-up. That was NOT a good scene. Some sort of box is worth the trouble.

9. Confedneck79K30

so its ok, like i thought, with a case... i just want to keep it inside the cab for accessability

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

me thinks your right Jek..:D batterys do blow up,but i have never seen a total loss with that. mine was upside down for a few minutes, OK more like an hour.all i needed was a jump start.:D :haha:

11. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had a Harley battery explode a couple of foot away from me once. I NEVER want that experience again. My ears rang for 2 days after, I instantly couldn't breath as my throat just closed up with the acid mist in the air and the plastic shrapnel hurt like you wouldn't believe.
    I wouldn't put a battery in the cab if I were you.

12. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just get an Optima, mount it in a box under the passenger seat or somewhere else that you prefer and call it good.

Just like Jek said "Me thinks some peeps are paranoid."

13. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

It's a fine line btwn paranoia and being reasonably cautious.

14. txfiremank5

I know I'm certainly not paranoid. In my situation theres no need to move it inside when I have a perfectly good engine comparment to put it in. In fact, I really doubt theres any good reason to move it inside.

F'n A, ... cotton ... F'n A. :D

15. Confedneck79K30

no good reason to move it inside? as in the battery cables are just long enough to pull it off, and to make this pos mobile, i need to put a battery in it, but i tossed the inner fenders, cuz who needs them, right?

so i got an optima today, red top for 25 bucks, was 12.8 volts and the guy said it had been sitting for about 2 or 3 months, so i bet its still good, hooked it to my float/maintenance charger for the night, ill take and load test it in the am... but its going in this weekend...

16. txfiremank5

And I guess the only space large enough to fit a battery, is inside? I'm sure a box can be easly mounted on the core support and fender.

Doesn't matter, it's your vic, so do whatever floats your boat. You're the one who asked.. I simply stated my opinion on it. Sounds like you had your mind made up before you even posted the question. Everyones situation is different. In my case my little girls ride with me, and I'd go the extra mile to make it work outside the cab.

17. Ned Kelly

Ned Kelly 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Keeping your battery inside a nice toasty passenger compartment would really help you maintain ALOT of electrical power, especially for winching. See the graph on battery output vs battery temp here:
    http://www.speedace.info/car_batteries.htm

18. Confedneck79K30

as i will be the only one riding and like i said, the bulk of the battery will be outside the passenger compartment, i was mostly concerned with any fumes, etc, and as for temp, its always hot here lol